News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

With a subscription-based model there would be far more DLCs, not less. People would have to feel like they are getting something for their subscription.

I think an annual pass kind of deal would fit their games better.

Syt

Problem is I don't see them handling a release cycle like, say, Path of Exile, that has substantial new mechanics every quarter with one massive change once a year.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 27, 2020, 04:53:28 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2020, 01:09:22 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 24, 2020, 12:02:42 PM
I think moving away from DLC model is worth a shot.  It really sucks to have 2048 versions of the game out there, and I feel like the DLC model is putting more pressure on the developers to come up with something new rather than refine what's already in the game but not working well.

A subscription model would definitely help with trying to coordinate 2048 different versions of the game, but it isn't going to do anything to prevent feature bloat - they have to keep giving you reasons to keep your subscription active.

a subscription would not -depending on what the subscription contains though- make the game cheaper. And let one of the complaints with all the DLC levelled at Paradox be moneygrubbing...
I'd personally be happy to pay more in return for a better product.  For me, then problem with DLCs is that they make the game increasingly shittier. 

One thing that modders cannot replace is the single vision of a game designer who knows what he envisioned, and keeps things in balance from many perspectives.  This is why I rarely mod my game, the end product is almost never better than the original.  DLCs turn game designers into modders with "more, more, more" mentality.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2020, 08:38:53 AM
DLCs turn game designers into modders with "more, more, more" mentality.

That's a good point, although in can work for a while. It would be just good to stop at some point and say "alright, this is the game". Why would they do it if they keep making money, though?

Mods on the other hand must be judged individually. I really detest mods cropping up in a matter of days for strategy games like Total War for example, and then subsequently praised just because they are different than vanilla.

However, things like HIP (and formerly CK2+) do make their games much better. Having a better vision than "more is better" sure helps in that, though.

garbon

I've seen no evidence, particularly with switching leads, that P'dox is able to follow a single vision.

Imperator suffered from a singular vision that was deeply flawed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2020, 08:58:54 AM
I've seen no evidence, particularly with switching leads, that P'dox is able to follow a single vision.

Imperator suffered from a singular vision that was deeply flawed.

In hindsight, you could see what was coming when Johan was on live preview streams with one of their community guys. The guy would regularly try to make Johan pause to reflect on simulation values, historical references to what was happening, but Johan was WAY too busy zerg-rushing stuff to pay any heed.  Explains the game SO much.

I think he had a very clear idea of what game he wants to see and he managed to keep to that, it's just that it happened to disagree with what people expected.

garbon

Yes really an issue where a singular vision was problematic so separate issue from their earlier games.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Well I bought it, didn't go for the full DLC content, as was aiming to play just the base game.

As it was when I downloaded, it automatically added to the install the four or five DLC it came with, I wasn't given any option.  <_<

edit:
so I'm not to sure how much chrome I'm now playing with; the patch is the manchu one, which I assume is a recent one.

Oh, I quite like the game, might well play it a bit.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Yeah, the EU concept remains one of my all time favs.  Just hate all the feature bloat.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on January 23, 2020, 10:38:02 AM
I'd also be worried a subscription service would push them even more toward catering to their map-painter-screw-history players, as player retention would become a big thing.

Then again, of course, it might work out.

Yeah that is the thing. Options like subscription services always end up impacting the game design so are not really options, just like "optional" DLCs and micro-transactions.

So I was thinking about getting EUIV at some point and man...to buy the game costs $264  :bleeding:

But I just could not justify a sub, I tend to play these kinds of games for years with many months often between sessions. So basically this game in not practical to purchase for me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2020, 11:20:43 PM
I'd also be worried a subscription service would push them even more toward catering to their map-painter-screw-history players, as player retention would become a big thing.

Yeah that is the thing. Options like subscription services always end up impacting the game design so are not really options, just like "optional" DLCs and micro-transactions.

So I was thinking about getting EUIV at some point and man...to buy the game costs $264  :bleeding:

But I just could not justify a sub, I tend to play these kinds of games for years with many months often between sessions. So basically this game in not practical to purchase for me.

Valmy you do know it's on humble bundle offer for the next few days, ends the 2nd Feb I think.

So you have the usual three tier offer starting at $1 and ending at $25 odd for the big bundle.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

But you don't really need all the DLCs. Maybe ask around which one or two are essential. The cool thing is that P'dox makes most of the major changes that come with the DLC free in the patch that accompanies it, anyways.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on January 27, 2020, 07:43:09 PM
Well I bought it, didn't go for the full DLC content, as was aiming to play just the base game.

As it was when I downloaded, it automatically added to the install the four or five DLC it came with, I wasn't given any option.  <_<

edit:
so I'm not to sure how much chrome I'm now playing with; the patch is the manchu one, which I assume is a recent one.

Oh, I quite like the game, might well play it a bit.

Right click on the game in steams and there's an option for download options or some such where you can select/deselect which dlc to download.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on January 28, 2020, 08:00:34 AM
Valmy you do know it's on humble bundle offer for the next few days, ends the 2nd Feb I think.

So you have the usual three tier offer starting at $1 and ending at $25 odd for the big bundle.

Holy shit. Ok I will just get that then :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Quote from: Josephus on January 28, 2020, 03:14:44 PM

But you don't really need all the DLCs. Maybe ask around which one or two are essential. The cool thing is that P'dox makes most of the major changes that come with the DLC free in the patch that accompanies it, anyways.

That's not really true. If you play with patch 1.9 (for example) but don't have the DLC that came with said patch, your gameplay will be worse than playing with patch 1.8 fow which you have the DLC.