News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I don't really get how it works based on the description. But then I never really understood why the forts block me in some cases and don't in some other. It's not a particularly clear system.

That said, the lower half of the diary that you didn't quote contained several good changes.

Caliga

Was playing as LOL OTTOMON EMPIRE last night and an event fired off which turned the Crimea into an Ottoman protectorate as happened historically.  Don't remember ever seeing that event before. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on November 01, 2016, 08:47:36 AM
Was playing as LOL OTTOMON EMPIRE last night and an event fired off which turned the Crimea into an Ottoman protectorate as happened historically.  Don't remember ever seeing that event before. :hmm:

Could be new. Ottos did get that new gov't form recently so wouldn't be surprised if they got more events.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Also, I don't get the new 'State' mechanic.  I can form the 'State of Erzurum'.  Why would I want to do that?

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on November 01, 2016, 09:56:09 AM
Also, I don't get the new 'State' mechanic.  I can form the 'State of Erzurum'.  Why would I want to do that?

Definitely go to the wiki on that. Basically the overseas penalty is gone and now you have penalties for provinces that are territories (aka not part of states). A whole strategy involved though in how you want to decide which states to form and not form.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2016, 10:11:41 AM

Definitely go to the wiki on that. Basically the overseas penalty is gone and now you have penalties for provinces that are territories (aka not part of states). A whole strategy involved though in how you want to decide which states to form and not form.

what's the advantage to NOT form a state? I do it everytime the opportunity shows up
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on November 01, 2016, 04:39:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2016, 10:11:41 AM

what's the advantage to NOT form a state? I do it everytime the opportunity shows up

Well certainly an issue would be if you can't afford it as you have to then pay state maintenance till the autonomy goes down. Similarly, once you form a state you've the one off costs of paying to core again.

So I'd generally make things states (starting with rich areas first) but not go hog wild as can become quite a drain. Had a bit of financial difficulty with Ottomans because of too much state maintenance.

Josephus

forgot about the core again thing, right.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Makes Psellus happy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on November 01, 2016, 08:40:41 AM
I don't really get how it works based on the description. But then I never really understood why the forts block me in some cases and don't in some other. It's not a particularly clear system.

That said, the lower half of the diary that you didn't quote contained several good changes.

Well the newest area-based fort system is now gone.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-22nd-of-november-2016.984000/

QuoteWhile we have our in-house QA team and a closed group of Betas who provide valuable feedback, sometimes we want to get a wider playerbase to try out our game builds by way of an Open Beta. A prime reason for this is to try out a large core change to the game where we want to get a lot of feedback from the community. In this case, we wanted to get feedback on a new area-based fort system.

For reference, we are fairly happy with how the 1.18 fort system works. It blocks movement, forces some sieges without requiring carpet sieging and, especially with the terrain bonuses, adds a good amount of strategic mid-long term planning for your nation. However there were some undeniable issues with the system in lack of clarity and overlapping Zones of Control. We wanted to try a new system out and hear what you had to think

It didn't take long for the feedback to mount up. The new system was unclear, forts blocked nothing on their own, small and mid sized nations struggled to offer much movement blocking, Military access rules became messy. The following week we decided as a team to revert to the 1.18 fort system.

Of course, there were some who liked and even loved the beta version's area-based fort system, and reverting was a disappointment to them. You're never going to make everyone happy, no matter what you change but I would like to thank everyone who played and continues to play with the 1.19 beta, as your contributions help make it a better update.

Now back to 1.18 system that was also still unclear. :D

Zanza

Josephus

the game that keeps on giving. I just wish I had more time. :(
Civis Romanus Sum

Phillip V

Zanza

Johan wrote that they have four more DLCs planned for EU4.