News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I never even reach 1700 in EU4. Thr first 200 years are fun, after that it gets tedious.

Zanza

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2024, 01:01:53 PMWho colonized the Caribbean?

Maybe Spain, but somehow their colonial nation got independence?

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 02, 2024, 12:39:27 PMI'm in 1725 with my England run, and the game is getting tedious. I'm mostly building up my provinces/units while trying to get into a good starting position for attacking India which is a two-state alliance of Deccan and Delhi.

I notice that all countries (with very few exceptions) are at tech level 23/24 at this point and stack modifiers a lot (checking reddit this seems to happen all the time as institutions propagate too easily at the moment meaning the research penalty rarely applies), so getting into a position for invading India while also having numerical and morale advantage has been tricky (and for a few decades in the 1600s I didn't expand my manpower/fore limits enough).

That said, with every slightly bigger country having the same tech level now it feels a bit meh and flavorless and tedious to carry on. It was fun to learn the basic mechanics, but if every game ends up with this homogenized world then I can't say I'm super interested in going back (or dabbling with mods, really).

Shame, really.

Screenshots from 20 years ago:

There is a simple mod made for convertor runs that supposedly tamps down rotw tech. I want to try it as tech and blobbing do make Europeans into far east games seem tedious.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on July 02, 2024, 01:06:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2024, 01:01:53 PMWho colonized the Caribbean?

Maybe Spain, but somehow their colonial nation got independence?

Portugal, actually. They got roundly destroyed, though - They used to own all of Mexico and most of the Carribean. I'm about the only bigger European presence in India/Indonesia. Ottomans/Castile/Portugal have a few islands, and France has New Guinea, but otherwise that's it. I'm also the only Euro with territories in Eastern Africa.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Ah ok. The Portuguese colonial nation is normally called Caraibas or so.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on July 02, 2024, 11:56:45 PMAh ok. The Portuguese colonial nation is normally called Caraibas or so.

It was for a very long time, till they broke loose. I was allied with them for a long time till they got pulled into a war against Castille/France/Ottomans in the early 1600s I noped out of which then led to their (slow) demise.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Gave it a push to 1760. Tried to crush the revolution in France, but despite support from Austria, Flanders, Bengal, Malacca, Russia, it went pear shaped and I cut losses. Switched to Republic myself, because ... eh, why not.

The Industrial Revolution started in 1760, too ... in Lahjian, an Ottoman province on the Caspian Sea.  :hmm:

The colors in South America are annoying. Brazil is Spanish, the other yellow is Scottish (Peru, Argentina, bits of Brazil).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

How are you England and not Great Britain? :ph34r:

Syt

What are you talking about? :P

I wanted to diplo-annex them, but then their development was too high. So I I later managed to get an heir of my dynasty onto the throne, with the goal to later claim it. However, three times when I could have claimed the throne I couldn't, because I had a regency. :D

Eventually, Scotland got into a war with Castille over the Flanders succession and lost. Castille forced our alliance apart, and afterwards I just conquered them.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

And so it ends; first time I played the game till 1821. Well, first time I played past the 1500s, I think. Got the Pax Britannica Event near the end. :)

Full size image: https://i.imgur.com/fFjK2Bs.jpeg

Overall I enjoyed it. The game has many thematic mechanics and events (even if it's often a stack bonus with some flavor painted onto it), but as said before - tech spread seems way too easy thanks in large part of fast institution spread - there's plenty ways to accelerate the adoption of a new institution (knowledge sharing, buffers, edicts, saving gold to click the "adopt" button as soon as possible ... ) so that a new thing spreads around the globe in only few years. I think almost all countries had tech 32/32/32 in the end ...
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

The current mod showcase might address my current issues with institution spread/blobbing:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/europa-universalis-iv-mod-spotlight-rise-and-fall.1695990/

I might try it out whenever I play next (currently not in much of a gming mood).

I just wish that EU4 was more relaxed about letting you unlock achievements with mods activated, like CK3, or V3. <_<
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Achievements ruined EU4. They added ridiculously unhistoric ones and a lot of vocal players assumed that if its an achievement they are entitled to be able to do it.

Norgy

I got one for having a 0/0/0 Henry of England living to ripe old age.

EU IV is still one of my favourite games, no matter how they tweak the mechanics and never seem to upgrade the rather tedious graphics.

There is something safe and familiar facing an Ottoman army of 200k stacked in one place with your 12k stack of Austrians after just being beaten into a pulp by a coalition led by France.

Syt

Four more DLC will be merged into the main game in October: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/236850/view/4599951478208420913

QuoteHey!

We are happy to announce the integration of FOUR essential DLCs into the Europa Universalis IV base game: "Rights of Man", "Art of War", "Digital Extreme Upgrade" and "Common Sense". That's right - all current and future EUIV players will receive these four DLCs absolutely free of charge! And you won't even need to do anything to receive them!

So far, the first three of these DLCs were a part of the "Starter Edition" - but we decided to add the fourth one to the mix to enrich the core experience of EUIV even more. Once this initiative is launched on October 17, all of these DLCs will be automatically included with the base game purchase, enhancing your gameplay experience right from the start.

In order to celebrate and honour constant support from our community, everyone buying the base game before October 17 or already having it in their library will receive these four DLCs for free once they are integrated. In this way we want to reward our fans for their ongoing engagement with Europa Universalis IV.

Are you a new player, wanting to give EUIV a try? Then don't waste time and take advantage of our ongoing Steam sale and get Europa Universalis IV for just $9,99 to benefit from additional DLCs after October 17, when they will be automatically unlocked.

And what if you are a seasoned veteran, who already has the base game plus the 4 DLCs mentioned above? Well, we are preparing a special treat for you - on October 17 we will lower the price of the Ultimate Bundle and introduce a brand new Starter Edition. Keep in mind that DLCs you already own will reduce the price of the Ultimate Bundle even more, making it the best way to finally complete your collection!
—Stephen Jay Gould