News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Surely there are more relevant features on the game's scale that could be added, rather than bloody marines.

I wonder which piece of code this equlas from another game of theirs that they can pretty much copy-paste and sell as brand new thing.

They have already been doing this, like taking out the sometimes dull but OK random mission system and putting in HOI's terrible one.

Threviel

Huh? You mean the "mission tree"? I found that to be a nice improvement, the same missions were a bit too random before, but the first missions for a few countries I've noticed to be quite buggy. Now, I haven't played for a year or so, I agree fully that the game has become bloated with mostly useless additions.

I just have a hard time to se what else they can do. HoI is a good example. With HoI 2 the game was more or less perfected, what was needed was incremental improvements, map, 3d, AI and stuff like that. What we got was the over-complex hoi 3 and 4. Both games improved a lot of things, but at their core they do not really work.

With EU4 we get incremental improvements, they add functionality, that which works remains, otherwise they add some new functionality a year or two afterwards that tries to improve on things or supercedes old stuff that do not work. EU4 I've simply played out, I've spent hundreds or thousands of hours on it and every time I return to it there has been some new improvement. At its core the game works. If they were to do an EU5 it would most probably not be an improvement, kind of like how EU4 was not an improvement over fully developed EU3. We would get a new imperator with a promise that if we waited a few years and spent a lot of money it would be an improvement. The current model has given me my most played game since CIV II, sure, it's growing a bit long in the tooth, but I see no real way out of it for Paradox unless they abandon EU4 for a few years and then make EU5.

So what are they supposed to do, there are lots of ways to complain about what they do, but what should they do? What other relevant features?

Caliga

Quote from: Threviel on December 26, 2019, 02:35:36 AM
Ahh, yes, I agree. But what else can they do but adding features?
Figure out a way to stop the endless blobbing that has plagued the game since the original EU?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Threviel

Well, I have no answers, I can find lots of things to complain about with Paradox games, but very few "fun" solutions to many of the problems.

garbon

And your lack of creativity is a compelling argument?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Threviel

Well then, show me your creativity.

Josephus

EU IV is a great game, that I've been playing since it came out.
The only thing I'd fix...

... I can never figure out why sometimes my attacking army is sitting in an enemy province, unable to siege. I know it's got to do with access or something, but damn if I can figure it out. Seriously I had one instance where one of my armies walked into province A and was unable to siege, then walked from Province A to Province B and started sieging.

Zones of control are annoying sometimes too. Sometimes it seems as though I can't move into Province A because it's in Province B's ZOC. But I can't seige Province B, because I can't get past Province A.

Shit like that.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on December 30, 2019, 05:43:34 PM
How do I load troops onto ships?

You can't.  You've never been able to in an EU game, as countless posts have proven.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/experimentation.1311555/page-3#post-26183418

QuoteHi everyone! Pontus, team lead for EU4 marketing supporting Björn real quick. Since "the cat is out of the bag" me and the team wanted to clarify a few things before speculations are running to rampant and are established as truths:

- Yes, we want to test a subscription model for EU4.

We have heard for years from existing and potential new players that the cost of getting the game and all expansions all at once is quite expensive (and might be discouraging for completely new EU4 fans), it's been supported for almost 7 years after all. A subscription model has been suggested to us on many occasions, so we thought we'd run a test to see how popular such a service would be.

- No, we are NOT replacing the current model or changing how anything works now. We are simply adding another option.

Expansions and other DLC's, both existing and upcoming, will still be available for purchase as usual for those who prefer that. We will not remove any content from anyone or make future content exclusive to people with a subscription. Nobody will be forced to pay again for content they have already purchased, and you will get to choose if you want to subscribe to get future DLC or continue purchasing the items individually just as you've always done.

- The cost of such a service is one of the things we want to decide based on the test.

This will help us assess how the presentation has performed, and help us determine how we should value any subscription offer in the future (if it ends up being a desired feature). This, unfortunately, is why we were so cagey about this experiment.

In hindsight we might have been a little more open about this process -- we know, as our long-time fans, this model may not be aimed at you (again, none of your existing purchases are going to be charged again). We wanted to try and gather data from people who encountered this new idea without prior bias or discussion (makes for a better experiment). That's why we were keeping things "on the DL," as the kids say.

That's pretty much all there is to it at this point. A limited group of people will be receiving this offer, and it's entirely up to these people whether or not they want to jump on the offer or not.

Thanks for your keen interest on this topic. You are of course welcome to share your ideas on what you think of such a service with us.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon