News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

How is the colonial model broken? I haven't really gotten into EU4 yet but thought to give it a try this weekend.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 13, 2014, 01:57:34 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 13, 2014, 01:45:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 13, 2014, 01:21:14 PM
Said it before and I will say it again, I think the new colonial mechanism has killed this game.

how so?

Because the home country loses control over their colonies for no reason other than reaching the size of 5 colonies.

You don't really lose control, you just don't have to micro manage them. You still make lots of income, you don't have to station armies in the new world for chasing down rebels and pirates. Raise your tarrifs and you can make just as much money as before, probably more in the long run since each colonial minor has it's own MP to build production and trade buildings.. that no sane player would build.

It turns the new world into a cash cow, which is what it was. American gold paid for the hapsburg wars of the 1500s. Everybody was flush with income from sugar, tobacco and furs and spend it on fighting pointless wars.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on March 14, 2014, 06:09:19 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 13, 2014, 01:57:34 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 13, 2014, 01:45:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 13, 2014, 01:21:14 PM
Said it before and I will say it again, I think the new colonial mechanism has killed this game.

how so?

Because the home country loses control over their colonies for no reason other than reaching the size of 5 colonies.

You don't really lose control, you just don't have to micro manage them.

Yeah, thats the same argument I heard with MOO3 - it was wrong then and it is just as wrong now.  I dont care that you might still be flush with income I want to manage my empire.  If I screw it up somehow then fine, have a mechanism for taking away that control.  But dont take control away from me merely because I am successful.

DGuller

I always found colonial gameplay extremely dull and tedious.  Sounds like for a player like me, these improvements are what I've been waiting for.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on March 14, 2014, 04:53:26 PM
I always found colonial gameplay extremely dull and tedious.

Yeah there was a reason I usually played Poland, Austria, or Vijayanagara.  Colonies are a pain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Certainly for players that dont want to manage colonies this is a good mechanism.  But for players that do this takes takes it away completely.

Note though you still have to colonize yourself so if that is that part you didnt like then this mechanism still wont help you much.  Its just that after your colonial provinces hit 5 in a given colonial area the colonial nation will spawn and every other province you colonize in that colonial zone will be ceded to the new colonial nation once it becomes a full city.

Crazy_Ivan80

what the mechanism needs is the ability for the mother country to build stuff in the colonies.

Josephus

So what's the formula for determining how much income you make off, say, a 5-province colonial nation?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PRC

How important is the Conquest of Paradise DLC outside of its major changes?  I don't care that much about a randomized New World and i'm not going to be playing any Native American states soon... outside of those elements does the DLC add a lot of new functionality to the rest of the game?

Ancient Demon

Quote from: PRC on April 06, 2014, 07:20:52 PM
I don't care that much about a randomized New World and i'm not going to be playing any Native American states soon... outside of those elements does the DLC add a lot of new functionality to the rest of the game?

No.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

PRC

Quote from: Ancient Demon on April 06, 2014, 07:38:47 PM
Quote from: PRC on April 06, 2014, 07:20:52 PM
I don't care that much about a randomized New World and i'm not going to be playing any Native American states soon... outside of those elements does the DLC add a lot of new functionality to the rest of the game?

No.

Okay, thanks for the tip!

Liep

And if you do want to try a new world there's a free mod that does it way better than Paradox' own attempt.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Lettow77

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

crazy canuck

Yeah PRC, I agree with the others.  You dont need the DLC.

Syt

The next DLC about the trading companies will also let you build the canals at Kiel, Suez and Panama. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.