News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Lame.  Why not just randomize the whole map and balance the countries?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Zanza

The randomization is based on a rectangle area of the map. I hope they'll add randomization to non-civilzed areas in Oceania and possibly the Indian Ocean and Sub-Saharan Africa with this too. That would make it a real exploration game to find the best way to Asia and the best spot for colonies.

garbon

The complaints on p'dox forums seem to be focused on how unrealistic the generated continents are.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

I saw that too, but I don't really understand it. If the random algorithm would generate a perfect copy of Eurasia, it would just be a massive blob of land with very few islands around it too.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2013, 02:33:08 PM
I saw that too, but I don't really understand it. If the random algorithm would generate a perfect copy of Eurasia, it would just be a massive blob of land with very few islands around it too.

I think there is something to be said with the edges of the landmasses compared to the intricate "jagged" borders of Eurasia but not really something I'd complain about. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Isn't Western Eurasia kind of the exception though? East Asia just looks like boobs with Japan off the coast.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on November 07, 2013, 05:44:04 PM
That's what I'm playing as well.  I wanted to see for myself whether Prussia is as OP as people claim it is with the new patch's combat system.  The only difference is that I decided to deliberately expand very slowly, in order to play through to the end without boring myself out of the game.  That would also be a better test of combat dynamics, since I'll be up against big blobs that I haven't crippled.
The conclusion is:  yeah, Prussia is kinda OP.  My Germany is slightly larger than East Germany was, and fields a single army of 62,000 in 1640.  An attack on semi-strong Hansa brought about a huge war against me, with blob France, super-blob Austria, GB, and Russia all united against me, along with a bunch of more minor powers.  Counting the armies of all my vassals, I'm just under 100,000 in strength, up against more than 500,000 of the enemies.

The war is still going on, but France and Austria are both out of armies and out of manpower.  Russia is still not crippled, but that's only because they didn't send all of their armies west.  The ones they did send west vaporized on first contact with the Germans.  The only one unaffected is Great Britain, mainly because they didn't take part in any fighting.

Some executions are more of a contest than this war was.

Queequeg

Isn't that kind of what happened with Frederick the Great?

Alcibiades

My understanding is that Frederick got really lucky and his title is a little undeserved.  :hmm:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Agelastus

Quote from: Queequeg on November 09, 2013, 05:29:17 PM
Isn't that kind of what happened with Frederick the Great?

No.

He didn't even win all his battles, let alone cause his enemies to "vapourise".
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Viking

Quote from: Alcibiades on November 09, 2013, 06:13:46 PM
My understanding is that Frederick got really lucky and his title is a little undeserved.  :hmm:

I know he is a good general, but is he lucky?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on November 09, 2013, 08:26:12 PM
Quote from: Alcibiades on November 09, 2013, 06:13:46 PM

I know he is a good general, but is he lucky?

He was lucky to have the Empress of Russia just drop dead.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Conquest of Paradise postponed to mid January.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2013, 02:33:08 PM
Needs more peninsulas.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point