Why Every Social Media Manager Should Be Under 25

Started by garbon, August 07, 2012, 10:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://nextgenjournal.com/2012/07/why-every-social-media-manager-should-be-under-25/
Facebook began in 2004. Twitter kicked off in 2006. I, along with everyone else in my generation, can remember exactly who told me about these endeavors, the perfect combination of confusion and excitement I felt when signing up for them, and the original layouts they exhibited. We were teenagers in high school at the time, a period when we were young enough to be the most impressionable yet old enough to grasp an understanding. Though we had absolutely no idea how insanely huge social media would grow, we were immediately along for the ride.

You might argue that everyone, regardless of age, was along for the ride, or at least everyone under the age of 30. I'm not saying they weren't, but we spent our adolescence growing up with social media. We were around long enough to see how life worked without it but had it thrown upon us at an age where the ways to make the best/correct use of it came most naturally to us. No one else will ever be able to have as clear an understanding of these services, no matter how much they may think they do.

The key is that we learned to use social media socially before professionally, rather than vice versa or simultaneously. After all, it is called social media; the seemingly obvious importance of incorporating comforting social aspects into professional usage seems to go over several companies' heads. To many people in the generations above us, Facebook and Twitter are just the latest ways of getting messages out there to the public, that also happen to be the best.

The specificity of the ways in which the method should be used is usually beyond them, however. The typically tired commercial statements or aggressively slang-imitating phrases companies tend to use on their sites do not match the witty, honest, energetic atmosphere these social media outlets offer.

The truth is, regardless of age, some people have a better handle on social media than others. But every generation has changes in history that define them, and social media happens to be one of those for mine. I do commend the way companies (and basically the entire population) have jumped on the social media bandwagon and recognized that it is the best way to connect with people nowadays. Yet, every time I see a job posting for a Social Media Manager/Associate/etc. and find the employer is looking for five to ten years of direct experience, I wonder why they don't realize the candidates who are in fact best suited for the position actually aren't old enough to have that much experience.

As time has gone on, the age groups jumping onto these sites have gradually grown older – and frightfully younger as well. Sixth-graders who are now creating their Facebook profiles know nothing other than Timeline, and adults in their 40's who are tweeting with their iPhone apps have no idea that the old way to do it was by texting 40404. The mere fact that my generation has been up close and personal with all these developments over the years should make clear enough that we are the ones who can best predict, execute, and utilize the finest developments to come.

Poor Cathryn - sounds like she's whining that she can't get a job as an English major (though her bio lists she did write for USA Today, woot!).

First user comment:
QuoteBy my calculations, Catherine, you have about 4 years to establish yourself in a social media career, if that's what you want, before winking out into insignificance (by your own admission). But, strangely enough, you just alienated every hiring manager you're likely to encounter by calling them old and out-of-touch. You also made sweeping statements that any debate team member can see are based on lazy thinking. And, to top it off, you've either ignored or never experienced a corporate HR seminar that deals with ageism in the workplace, so rather than looking qualified and hireable, you look like a big, fat, walking liability.

My goodness. How will you make it through the 40 years of career you'll need to plow through after 25?

You'd better hope us old geezers lapse into senility quickly so we don't remember that you wrote this article.

-_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

I agree with the commenter cited.  She is a jackass.  Probably a Timmayite.
PDH!

Grey Fox

I'm confuse. Is the reason because they were kids when Facebook came out?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

As the Baby Boomers say: don't trust anybody under 60.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 07, 2012, 10:51:40 AM

Yeah, she's saying that gives them better insight into it as they've been using it (and twitter) since they were teens.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2012, 10:52:56 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 07, 2012, 10:51:40 AM

Yeah, she's saying that gives them better insight into it as they've been using it (and twitter) since they were teens.

I see.

Kids.  :rolleyes:

The Brain

The commentator doesn't seem to understand the reasoning behind the number 25.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Every "social media manager" should be unemployed. :thumbsdown:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 07, 2012, 11:20:12 AM
Every "social media manager" should be unemployed. :thumbsdown:

Not at all. They're very useful.

Certainly, I'd hire a social media manager who's under 25 since they tend to be very cheap. The most important thing, of course, is that they have the right attitude. This lady in the original article? Not so much.

Neil

Never trust people who use social media.  They're flighty and dishonest.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on August 07, 2012, 01:29:26 PM
Never trust people who use social media.  They're flighty and dishonest.

This.

Grey Fox

What about the landline less? Are they dishonest?

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 07, 2012, 01:55:13 PM
What about the landline less? Are they dishonest?
Usually.  At the very least, it tells people that you're a drifter and that they shouldn't depend on you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

sbr