And we're back!

Main Menu

Mech Warrior Online vs Mech Warrior Tactics

Started by Berkut, August 07, 2012, 10:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Berkut on March 12, 2016, 10:44:28 PM
Never played Quake Arena, so no idea...

When it was Mechs pew-pewing each other on the same eight random maps, with no consequence.

Berkut

Hmmm, well I don't know if there arent any consequences. The winner get XP and CBills, and the losers get less I suppose.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

So, I want to start a game with a trial mech, to earn credits and buy my own mech after training, and I have to wait 20 minutes in queue for this??  How weird...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

got it.  definately gonna need more practice.

Got killed in 5 minutes or so.  My team lost :(

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

When getting started, I highly recommend you take it slow, try to pick around the edges.  Do not get overly aggressive, especially in the trial mechs, as they tend to be very poorly optimized (though not always--some of them are good).  Generally speaking, try to play support early on rather than lone-gunning it.  If you see an enemy being targeted by an ally, nail him.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on March 14, 2016, 09:51:11 PM
When getting started, I highly recommend you take it slow, try to pick around the edges.  Do not get overly aggressive, especially in the trial mechs, as they tend to be very poorly optimized (though not always--some of them are good).  Generally speaking, try to play support early on rather than lone-gunning it.  If you see an enemy being targeted by an ally, nail him.
that's more or less what I was trying to do.  I haven't played a MW game since... #3, I think.  The Mercenaries one.

I went ahead with a medium one, but everyone is flying around with jump jets, making it difficult to follow.  So, I found myself isolated, trying to use cover, take shots, hide, but I stumble on something, got stuck on a mountain, got surrounded by 3 ennemy mechs, and voilĂ , no more Viper :(

I'm having trouble with the controls and the targetting, so I'm going back to the academy for now.

Btw, do you need to buy a mech with real money or you can you use in game credits?  I can't seem to find out how to do it.

Berkut

THere is a Store tab across the top of the screen - that is where you can buy mechs in game.

0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on March 14, 2016, 11:49:36 PM
THere is a Store tab across the top of the screen - that is where you can buy mechs in game.
it directs me to a web site where I am supposed to buy packs with real money.

Berkut

No, when you click on it, you will get another set of tabs down the left side. One of them will say "Battlemechs" and you can buy mechs in game with in game credits there.

0 rows returned

viper37

Berkut

If anyone is interested in playing, this is a great resource to start understanding how the game works beyond "Drive around, shoot things!"

http://metamechs.com/

0 rows returned

Berkut

So that site I linked has a bunch of guides on the various mechs, and I was reading the one on the Arctic Cheetah.

It has a build that is basically ECM and 2 Clan ER-Large Lasers. 30 ton mech, runs at 130kph, and has a pair of 11 firepower 800m range large lasers mounted high on the torso.

So basically you run around sniping shit.

The guide was kind of funny - it basically says "This is interesting, but of limited actual use since in most cases you cannot get off enough shots to do real amounts of damage".

I've been fucking wrecking shit with this build. My first match ever in it I did 800+ damage, which was more than any match I've ever done. I think it is pretty much broken.

The ECM means the enemy won't be able to lock you up, and the mech is freaking tiny anyway, so they never see me until I fire. I can reliably get two shots off before my target turns to fire back, and by that time I am gone.

I just skirt the outskirts of the fight and pick away. The only thing I have to worry about is another light mech with my own speed and short ranged weapons. Anything else I run into I can run away from.

0 rows returned

Malicious Intent

Well, there is a reason that chassis is often called "Arctic Cheater".  ;) It's currently easily the best light mech in the game, even after it has been nerfed a while ago. I never bothered to buy one myself though, since I mostly do CW for an Inner Sphere house, so I can't use clan tech in my drop deck.

Metamechs is primarily directed at community warfare, where - if in a competent team - solo sniping is rarely an option. CW done right is more about powerful and decisive action.

Berkut

I would really like to try CW, but I don't really understand how to get "in" on it.

0 rows returned