Latest British banking scandal: Standard Chartered

Started by Sheilbh, August 06, 2012, 01:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 09, 2012, 09:37:41 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2012, 01:37:53 PM
It won't be long before they move to Hong Kong anyway. 

that won't help them b/c they will still need to be able to transact in US $
Of course, I meant it won't be our problem/embarrassment and the major argument against increasing regulation in London, which is now inevitable, is that this bank and ones like HSBC would move east. Which also seemns more or less olinevitable (especially in this case because from what I understand they're basically an East Asia bank with a London HQ).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 09, 2012, 08:35:34 PM
Of course, I meant it won't be our problem/embarrassment and the major argument against increasing regulation in London, which is now inevitable, is that this bank and ones like HSBC would move east. Which also seemns more or less olinevitable (especially in this case because from what I understand they're basically an East Asia bank with a London HQ).

Moving operations East is inevitable because increasingly that's where investors and clients are located.
But London is always going to be a very big and important financial center - only its relative position will be impacted.

The notion that regulation drives away business is also wrong.  Good, transparent regulations that are honestly implemented and enforced make a financial center more attractive, not less.  yes there is some compliance burden, but that is radically outweighed by the fact that clients and investors have confidence about transacting in that location. Were it otherwise, then Panama and Lichtenstein would be bigger financial centers than New York and London.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Richard Hakluyt

How important is it where the HQ is located anyway? Standard Chartered is a "British" bank that apparently does most of its business in Asia but also 40% of its business is transacted in US dollars. I wonder who the shareholders are? It is listed in London and HK.......just looked it up and the largest shareholder is the government of Singapore. Does it really matter where the top few hundred or so workers are based (except to them) ?

Genuine questions btw, not trying to make any point.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 10, 2012, 03:51:05 PM
How important is it where the HQ is located anyway? 

It matters in terms of staffing and support services, in terms of having a critical mass of industry players in a single place, and because key client, counterparty and governmental/regulatory relationships still require some face-to-face time.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

I hope they all fucking hang.  Hanging them for just being bankers would be satisfying enough, but aiding Iran is mo' gravy, Ma.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

Can't say I'm pleased with the result. If they really recycled $250bn of Iranian money then why have they been let off so lightly? Alternatively, if a mere $14m slipped through the net then the fine is way over the top...........$14m could be regarded as an excellent result given the scale of the bank's operations.

It looks like a bribe to be allowed to operate in NY  :hmm:

I await Minsky's opinion with interest. The media are not doing great with this one, the mixture of banker-bashing and economic nationalism makes it hard to get a balanced view on the story.

frunk

The question is whether the Feds leaned on NY to let them off, either so their investigation can proceed without interference or for something shadier.

The Minsky Moment

The process by which lawsuits get settled is akin to sausage manufacture.
Best not to examine too closely.
--Joan Robinson

Richard Hakluyt

Ty Chancellor Bismarck  :cool:

(I thought we had a pickelhaube smiley  :( )

Syt

I had made one years ago, but it wasn't accepted. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2012, 02:21:39 AM
I had made one years ago, but it wasn't accepted. :(
Are you sure? I thought it was, but then it got lost in one of the crash and transfers.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 15, 2012, 03:22:55 AM
Can't say I'm pleased with the result. If they really recycled $250bn of Iranian money then why have they been let off so lightly? Alternatively, if a mere $14m slipped through the net then the fine is way over the top...........$14m could be regarded as an excellent result given the scale of the bank's operations.

It looks like a bribe to be allowed to operate in NY  :hmm:

Gee, ya think?  Fuckers just keep getting away with it all, over and over and over...

Y'ALL BE BACK IN CHAINS