News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Today in history

Started by Razgovory, August 06, 2012, 12:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Today is the 67th anniversary of one of the greatest events in the history of mankind.  The United States, in her righteous might, harassed the very power of the most basic elements of the universe and used them to destroy the city of Hiroshima bringing to an end the power of the Japanese empire and creating the tools to ensure the peace we have enjoyed for the last half a century.  A weapon so horrible that for the first time, war was truly to terrible to wage.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

Just looked at Wikipedia and 6th of August also saw the birth of the World Wide Web and the end of the Holy Roman Empire.

The Brain

Too terrible to wage? I guess no one told America.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on August 06, 2012, 12:48:37 PM
Just looked at Wikipedia and 6th of August also saw the birth of the World Wide Web and the end of the Holy Roman Empire.

Something else important was born on this day. :ph34r:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on August 06, 2012, 12:49:21 PM
Too terrible to wage? I guess no one told America.

We are badass.  Compared to Sweden where war became to terrible to wage when Russians developed cannons with wheels.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2012, 12:43:37 PM
Today is the 67th anniversary of one of the greatest events in the history of mankind.  The United States, in her righteous might, harassed the very power of the most basic elements of the universe and used them to destroy the city of Hiroshima bringing to an end the power of the Japanese empire and creating the tools to ensure the peace we have enjoyed for the last half a century.  A weapon so horrible that for the first time, war was truly to terrible to wage.

:yeahright:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Lettow77

Well, the peace Japan has enjoyed for the last half a century, anyway. :)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 06, 2012, 01:07:26 PM

You wouldn't understand.  You've been in the shit too much.
PDH!

katmai

Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2012, 12:56:05 PM

Not sure why we care that it is M. Night's birthday. :huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

The power of the Japanese Empire was broken long before the Bomb dropped.  The real significance of the bomb is that it prevented the Soviets from invading Japan, meaning that Japan was a much better place postwar than Europe.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on August 06, 2012, 05:53:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2012, 12:56:05 PM

Not sure why we care that it is M. Night's birthday. :huh:

You bastards have 4 hours to create a thread or I swear I'll stalk and kill and eat one you.

Agelastus

...The United States, in her righteous might, harassed the very power of the most basic elements of the universe...

Somehow the image of the United States, like the proverbial mother-in-law, nagging the basic elements of the universe to get them to do what they want amuses me.  :bowler:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Viking

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 06, 2012, 01:07:26 PM

We've had peace. Those who differ with us on the sovereignty of nations, human rights and the value of war as means of conflict resolution have not had peace.

We are in fact very fortunate that the good guys had had the bomb and the bad guys with the bomb were worried about dying for the bulk of that period.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on August 07, 2012, 04:38:16 PM
...The United States, in her righteous might, harassed the very power of the most basic elements of the universe...

Somehow the image of the United States, like the proverbial mother-in-law, nagging the basic elements of the universe to get them to do what they want amuses me.  :bowler:
Age!  Haven't seen you post in a while.  Good to see you active again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!