Drought! More than half of U.S. counties "disaster zones"

Started by Syt, August 02, 2012, 10:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

We're in the D3 - Extreme category. Our yard is thoroughly brown and dead. Weeds are still thriving, but the grass is a lost cause. I'm fairly certain that there's a ban on burning in our county at the moment. Storm systems keep moving through, but split before they get to us, heading north and south around us.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on August 04, 2012, 08:57:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 03, 2012, 08:23:50 AM
Strange it has been relatively cool and wet here this summer.  You can see the disastrous drought conditions of last year starting to recede in Texas on that map.

Maybe we stole the Great Plains' rain.
That's good. You guys have had drought conditions for a few years before this, right?

We seemed to be coming out of it in 2010 but last year was the hottest and driest in the history of Texas and that is really saying something.  We are recovering a bit this year which is a Godsend I do not know what would have happened with a repeat.  It does have me thinking of what the State's long term plans are.  Our population is rapidly increasing and water resources are really being strained even without the drought.  The water question will be a big deal in the future.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 04, 2012, 09:56:04 PM
We're in the D3 - Extreme category. Our yard is thoroughly brown and dead. Weeds are still thriving, but the grass is a lost cause. I'm fairly certain that there's a ban on burning in our county at the moment. Storm systems keep moving through, but split before they get to us, heading north and south around us.

Yeah all of our yards died last year.  I was not about to waste water fighting a lost cause.  We had brutal fires, our church was hosting refugees from Bastrop last year.  Whew bad memories so glad we do not have any of that this year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on August 03, 2012, 07:35:46 AM
We're all doomed? :tinfoil:

Not I.  It's quite nice here.  A little warm, but it rained yesterday, and the week before that, and the week before that, and like three or four times the week before that.

South Carolina: HYDROTANIA.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

It's pretty bad here.  Every county in Missouri is a disaster area which means Farmers get federal money.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Being back in Alberta...

as meant constant thunderstorms.  I can't count how many.  Which has also meant lots of moisture - mosquitoes have become something terrible.  But definitely no drought this year (unlike other years - I have a transcript of a small claims decision which revolved entirely around a drought and the vastly increasing value of bales of hay from 8-9 years ago).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2012, 11:16:31 PM
Quote from: KRonn on August 04, 2012, 08:57:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 03, 2012, 08:23:50 AM
Strange it has been relatively cool and wet here this summer.  You can see the disastrous drought conditions of last year starting to recede in Texas on that map.

Maybe we stole the Great Plains' rain.
That's good. You guys have had drought conditions for a few years before this, right?

We seemed to be coming out of it in 2010 but last year was the hottest and driest in the history of Texas and that is really saying something.  We are recovering a bit this year which is a Godsend I do not know what would have happened with a repeat.  It does have me thinking of what the State's long term plans are.  Our population is rapidly increasing and water resources are really being strained even without the drought.  The water question will be a big deal in the future.

A few years ago, I think even before the drought, I read something about the underground aquifers in Texas, and that there were some concerns about how low the water levels were getting due to over use.