News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP John Keegan

Started by Drakken, August 03, 2012, 03:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Even though reading though your books was a drag.

:(

PRC

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I may have read two of his books.  His sketch of WWI and something else.  Maybe the Civil war one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

RIP, Keegan.  You magnificent bastard- I read your book!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

FunkMonk

I read the Face of Battle and his history of the second world war back in high school and enjoyed them immensely.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Top-notch analyst, though not very good when trying to describe.  I enjoyed his books and think he was a very innovative thinker.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Anyone who has not read Six Armies at Normandy owes it to themselves to do so.  IMO his best book, only possible competition The Face of Battle.

mongers

Oh dear. :(

This happening after the loss of Richard Holmes last year.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

sbr

I read his First World War.  I will have to check Six Armies and Face of Battle when I get back into a reading mode.

Lucidor

Oh. :-(

Loved hist WWI and "History of warfare".

The Brain

Did he do any research? If so what were his most important discoveries?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

I liked The First World War.
Never could get through History of Warfare, despite several tries.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

derspiess

RIP.  I liked everything of his I got around to reading.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall