News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

I can hear the "imbeciles", but whatever obscenity was used is totally drowned about by the Arabic to my ears.

Syt

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/news/article/russias-state-duma-supports-mandatory-hiv-testing-before-marriage/527840.html

QuoteRussia's State Duma Supports Mandatory HIV Testing Before Marriage

The State Duma's health care committee sided on Wednesday with a suggestion to impose mandatory HIV testing on couples who want to get married, news agency Interfax reported.

"It's a reasonable proposal and should be supported. The number of HIV-positive people is growing and it is becoming a serious problem. I think our top public health official [Anna Popova, who suggested the move] is absolutely right," Nikolai Gerasimenko, first deputy chairman of the committee, told Interfax on Wednesday.

Popova, the head of health care watchdog Rospotrebnadzor, proposed the idea on Tuesday at a youth forum titled Territoriya Smyslov na Klyazme and known in English as Terra Scientia, Interfax reported. She also said she would support genetic testing and hepatitis testing for couples who plan to have a baby.

The head of the Federal AIDS Center, Vadim Pokrovsky, said he supported the idea, but only if the testing was carried out on a voluntary basis.

"Mandatory testing might cause serious problems. For example, who should be informed of the results? The future wife, the bride [if her fiance was tested]? How would she react? Most likely the marriage would fall apart," he told the Business FM radio station Tuesday.

"What is going to happen to this bride or groom whose test was positive? The processes that are going to take place next should be seriously thought over," Pokrovsky added.

According to the center's prognosis, the number of recorded cases of HIV in Russia is set to exceed 1 million by the end of this year.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

If there is a HIV problem doing testing might not be a bad idea but why at marriage?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2015, 07:44:31 AM
If there is a HIV problem doing testing might not be a bad idea but why at marriage?

Because Russians don't do pre-marital sex. That's a Western decadent thing.

Martinus

Given the attitudes of Russian people against HIV-positive individuals, I somehow doubt this would be used to the benefit of the patient.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

During the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Bush was present at a swimming contest, and the US won a gold medal.  However, when the US anthem was played, it stopped in the middle for no reason and wasn't resumed.  The Chinese foreign minister next to Bush was petrified.  Bush seemed to be completely cool though. 

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2015, 09:54:21 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 11, 2015, 02:13:39 AM
- Intl tribunal should try 1945 US nuke attacks on Japan - Duma chief

Who exactly are they planning on putting on trial here?

That Enola gay. They don't like gays there.

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on August 12, 2015, 10:46:02 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2015, 12:46:30 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on August 11, 2015, 10:49:12 AM
"Asian country" is not a coherent concept.

:mellow:
I don't think Israel and China have much in common just because you could hypothetically travel from one to the other on land.

It's a cultural concept, and culturally Israel is not an Asian country. By the way, you could also travel from Spain to China on land.  :huh:

Martinus

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on August 20, 2015, 02:50:55 AM
It's a cultural concept, and culturally Israel is not an Asian country. By the way, you could also travel from Spain to China on land.  :huh:

Which countries do you consider to be Asian countries besides Russia? China? India? Iran? South Africa?  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 20, 2015, 03:04:17 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 20, 2015, 02:50:55 AM

Which countries do you consider to be Asian countries besides Russia? China? India? Iran? South Africa?  :P

China, Mongolia, the Stans, Japan, Korea, countries in South East Asia. India is a distinct culture. I would argue that Iran (Persia) is probably distinct enough as well.

Martinus

As for Israel, to me it is an element of Western Civilisation in the Middle East. In that, it is a spiritual descendant of the crusader states.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on August 20, 2015, 04:14:45 AM
China, Mongolia, the Stans, Japan, Korea, countries in South East Asia. India is a distinct culture. I would argue that Iran (Persia) is probably distinct enough as well.

Russia has less in common with China than India does.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?