News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee! 

The Russkies don't seem to like anyone, and are suspicious of everyone else.   :ph34r:

Valmy

They might like Paraguay.

Actually now that I say that Syt will post a rt article denouncing the anti-Russian sentiments of Paraguay.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2015, 12:57:07 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 30, 2015, 12:51:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2015, 12:49:02 PM
I am rather horrified at the existence of a legislative body that makes our Congress look so good.

Oh, Rogozin (with the Ukraining vote quote), is only Deputy PM, not an MP.

Maybe I am not a parliamentary genius but I thought becoming PM or Deputy PM first required you to be a MP.

They don't have a parliament, they have a Duma.  :smarty:

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2015, 12:49:02 PM
I am rather horrified at the existence of a legislative body that makes our Congress look so good.

I don't know what you mean. :hmm:

http://rt.com/politics/270781-prosecutor-review-baltic-independence/

QuoteThe office of Russia's Prosecutor General has received a request by two members of the State Duma to review the 1991 decision made by the Soviet Union to recognize the independence of the Baltic States.

The two deputies reportedly come from the ruling United Russia party. They claim the split of the Baltic States from the USSR was unconstitutional. The decision to recognize their independence "cemented the separation from the USSR of a strategically important territory, the loss of sea ports and areas of water, led to the disintegration of the country's unified defense environment and to the disruption of economic links to the Baltic republics," they said addressing the Prosecutor General's Office, according to Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

Russian law requires the office of the Prosecutor General to review the request as it would any other. "Indeed, [the Office] has received an address by deputies, which is currently being reviewed in accordance with the demands of the Russian law, like any other address we receive," RIA Novosti quotes a representative of the Office.

The Interfax news agency quotes a "source familiar with the situation" as saying: "Legally speaking, the decision to recognize the independence of the Baltic States is flawed, as it was taken by a non-constitutional body."

Despite the request's questionable fate, top Lithuanian politicians have already reacted, calling it a provocation.

"Our independence was bought with the blood of Lithuanians. No one can encroach on it. We are the only ones to decide our fate," Lithuanian president Dalia Grybauskaite said, as reported by Delfi, a Baltic news portal.

Foreign Minister Linas Linkevicius called the request "legally, morally and politically absurd" and said it is "viewed as at least a provocation."

The independence of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia was recognized by the USSR's State Council on September 5, 1991. The State Council was a temporary body which included the President of the USSR as well as the leaders of 10 allied republics.

The Soviet Union's constitution at the time necessitated a referendum and a transitional period in order to settle disputed matters, neither of which took place.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

http://rt.com/politics/272416-russia-straight-flag-family/

QuoteUnited Russia activists create 'flag for straights' to oppose 'gay fever'

The Moscow city branch of the parliamentary majority United Russia party has created a 'flag for straights'. They want to use it in their campaign in defense of traditional values against aggressive LGBT propaganda.

The flag exists in three variants where a stylized picture of a husband, wife, and three children are pictured holding hands against a background of white, blue and red – the colors of the Russian national flag. Under the picture is the hashtag #realfamily in Russian.

Deputy head of United Russia's Moscow organization said in comments with the popular daily Izvestia that the flag will be officially presented at the Day of Family Love and Faithfulness celebrated in Russia on Wednesday. Aleksey Lisovenko emphasized the new symbol was designed to counter the LGBT community's rainbow flag.

"This is our answer to same sex marriages, this mockery of the very concept of family. We must prevent gay fever in our country and support traditional values," Izvestia quoted the activist as saying.

Last month, Aleksey Lisovenko sent a letter to the State Duma asking the parliament to ban the use of the LGBT community's rainbow flag in Russia, including on websites and social networks.

Soon after the story about the Russian "flag for straights" appeared on the internet, many reporters and users of social networks pointed out that it was almost identical to the flag used by the "Manif Pour Tous" movement that opposes the legalization of same sex marriages in France.The resemblance is apparent with the only difference that the French flag has two kids on it and the Russian has three.

However, in subsequent press comments Lisovenko dismissed accusations of plagiarism saying the symbol was created in cooperation with the French activists who agreed to grant their Russian allies rights for its use. Lisovenko also added that the greater number of children on the Russian flag was meant to demonstrate the difference in Russian traditions.

Also, following a series of injuries and accidents of young folks taking selfies - including a girl who almost killed herself when she posed with a gun to her head and it went off; and a woman who died falling off a bridge - there's some safety tips from the interior ministry:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

QuoteLisovenko also added that the greater number of children on the Russian flag was meant to demonstrate the difference in Russian traditions.

Tradition of inflating numbers?

Fertility rate   1.75 children born/woman (2014) :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

I like that the day of Family Love involves not loving members of your family.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Is 3 a greater number of children? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2015, 09:20:20 AM
Is 3 a greater number of children? :hmm:

It is greater then 2 yet less than 4.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2015, 09:19:11 AM
QuoteLisovenko also added that the greater number of children on the Russian flag was meant to demonstrate the difference in Russian traditions.

Surely that includes sinful women who are not married, as well as married women who have not done their duty to Volk und Putin to produce new workers and soldiers for the glory of Mother Russia?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2015, 09:19:11 AM

Potemkin babies...
Only the poo is real

PJL

That 'flag for straights' looks like the Protect and Survive logo.