Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2015, 09:34:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 17, 2015, 05:43:04 AM
Poland has not yet perished!  :bowler:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/15/world/europe/poland-steels-for-battle-seeing-echoes-of-cold-war-in-ukraine-crisis.html?hpw&_r=0

QuotePoles Steel for Battle, Fearing Russia Will March on Them Next[snip]

This looks like a bogus story - never heard of these people.  :wacko:

Well, certainly, if you've never heard of them, then the whole story (including photos, quotes, maps, etc) must have been fabricated by the New York Times.  I mean, how could the staff of the NYT possibly match the breadth of your knowledge?  No one here should entertain for a moment the conviction that you are full of shit on this.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

When Marty pleads ignorance, I tend to believe him.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

I didn't mean to say this is made up but the implication this reflects a larger trend is. The New York Times took a handful of marginal people and tries to use them to build a story that "Poland is bracing for war". It isn't.

The Brain

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. Should we really argue about this?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on March 22, 2015, 12:24:14 PM

I just find it funny that grumbler says I am full of shit when it comes to knowing the situation in Poland better than NYT.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2015, 12:26:44 PM

I just find it funny that grumbler says I am full of shit when it comes to knowing the situation in Poland better than NYT.

Dude, you're sitting in your gentrified ivory tower. What do you know about the average Pole?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on March 22, 2015, 12:33:15 PM

Dude, you're sitting in your gentrified ivory tower. What do you know about the average Pole?

Yeah, and if you reflect on the NYT, if there is one thing it really connects with, it is the common man. That lower middle class American, NASCAR fans, rodeo cowboys...these are the images that come to mind when thinking of the generic NYT reader.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on March 22, 2015, 12:33:15 PM

Besides, it's pretty well established that Grumbler is an expert on about anything, just ask him.  I'd say it's even money if he knows more about Polish law then you do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2015, 12:22:55 PM
I didn't mean to say this is made up but the implication this reflects a larger trend is. The New York Times took a handful of marginal people and tries to use them to build a story that "Poland is bracing for war". It isn't.
I haven't read the article since posting it,  but if I recall correctly, they were qouting rather significant numbers aa being involved in these militias. If the numbers are accurate it would seem to imply a trend  to me.

EDIT: Checking it, they say they have 80,000 members. I think that's a significant number.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Mart got all uppity when he got the ice maker.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 22, 2015, 06:23:28 PM
Mart got all uppity when he got the ice maker.
He allowed no scribes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

He was almost stoned to death by the rest of the village when he had ice in his Appletini.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2015, 05:07:44 PM
I haven't read the article since posting it,  but if I recall correctly, they were qouting rather significant numbers aa being involved in these militias. If the numbers are accurate it would seem to imply a trend  to me.

EDIT: Checking it, they say they have 80,000 members. I think that's a significant number.

QuoteGeneral Pacek estimated there were 120 such groups at the moment, with about 80,000 members, but he acknowledged that this was just a guess, as the groups are not required to report their existence or membership rolls.

They do not *have* 80,000 members - some guy talking to the NYP about such groups (that hardly anyone has heard of) says he guesses they may have 80,000 members. Nice try though, Tim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2015, 01:36:17 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2015, 05:07:44 PM

QuoteGeneral Pacek estimated there were 120 such groups at the moment, with about 80,000 members, but he acknowledged that this was just a guess, as the groups are not required to report their existence or membership rolls.

They do not *have* 80,000 members - some guy talking to the NYP about such groups (that hardly anyone has heard of) says he guesses they may have 80,000 members. Nice try though, Tim.
What you mean to say is you haven't heard of them. You're like that actress who wondered how Nixon won, no one she knew voted for him!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point