And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2015, 04:13:02 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 27, 2015, 10:17:39 PM
Holy shit!  I guess Putin fears absolutely nothing now.

A man who does not fear does not kill his enemies.
He does if it brings him joy.

Liep

Stalin killed because he feared so we can finally get beyond that comparison.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on February 28, 2015, 04:38:46 PM

Wow!  You are just now finally getting past that comparison?  :lol:  Welcome to the post-1955 world!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 28, 2015, 04:35:39 PM

The fuck he doesn't.  He kills because he can.

He's not a serial killer or a movie villain.  We don't even know if he ordered it.  It's possible he only indirectly responsible, labeling this guy and enemy so that fanatical Russians would kill him or one his henchmen knocked him off to curry favor with the boss.  If Putin is killing high profile targets, it's because he knows the next year will be tough and he needs to clear the board of potential problems.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2015, 05:14:10 PM
He's not a serial killer or a movie villain.  We don't even know if he ordered it.  It's possible he only indirectly responsible, labeling this guy and enemy so that fanatical Russians would kill him or one his henchmen knocked him off to curry favor with the boss.  If Putin is killing high profile targets, it's because he knows the next year will be tough and he needs to clear the board of potential problems.
I think your theory that bloody dictators only kill people that are a potential danger to them has been shown to be false throughout history.  Some kill to set an example, some kill out of spite, and some really do enjoy it.

Liep

Quote from: grumbler on February 28, 2015, 05:07:27 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 28, 2015, 04:38:46 PM

Wow!  You are just now finally getting past that comparison?  :lol:  Welcome to the post-1955 world!

Putin wasn't that big in 1955.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 28, 2015, 05:25:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2015, 05:14:10 PM
I think your theory that bloody dictators only kill people that are a potential danger to them has been shown to be false throughout history.  Some kill to set an example, some kill out of spite, and some really do enjoy it.

Use history to demonstrate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2015, 06:57:06 PM
Stalin killed plenty of enemies that have been political corpses for years, and were just trying to live their lives hoping he would forget about them.  He also killed plenty of their family members, including apolitical wives.  I imagine those weren't much threat to him either.

Tonitrus

Perhaps sometimes you just gotta kill someone to keep all the other pretenders from getting ideas.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 28, 2015, 07:19:46 PM
Perhaps sometimes you just gotta kill someone to keep all the other pretenders from getting ideas.
And sometimes what happens is just a simple thuggish reaction, without any political calculation.  Maybe one day Putin was shown the video of Nemtsov mocking his height or cursing him out, and he just said "okay, that's enough, have that piss-ant killed".  When you have absolute power, you can get away with temper tantrums like that.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 28, 2015, 06:59:57 PM
Stalin killed plenty of enemies that have been political corpses for years, and were just trying to live their lives hoping he would forget about them.  He also killed plenty of their family members, including apolitical wives.  I imagine those weren't much threat to him either.

The man was paranoid, he killed people who he thought were dangerous.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2015, 07:45:29 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 28, 2015, 06:59:57 PM

The man was paranoid, he killed people who he thought were dangerous.
Saddam Hussein sure enjoyed killing people for sport and murder boner.

alfred russel

No man in history was more scared than Genghis Khan.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on February 28, 2015, 07:24:21 PM
And sometimes what happens is just a simple thuggish reaction, without any political calculation.

Especially when a country, like Putin's Russia, becomes the ideal of what a country looks like when it's run by the Mob.  Nazi Germany was run by street thugs, but today's Russia?  It's Goodfellas in track suits.