News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 04:23:39 PM
Oh and ended the Russo-Japanese War single handedly.

Shot a grizzly with his bare hands while doing it, too!

However, the Imperial Japanese Navy courteously disagrees. 

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 17, 2015, 04:25:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 04:23:39 PM
Oh and ended the Russo-Japanese War single handedly.

Shot a grizzly with his bare hands while doing it, too!

:thumbsup:

QuoteHowever, the Imperial Japanese Navy courteously disagrees.

Quiet you!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2015, 04:24:14 PM
Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2015, 04:18:42 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2015, 03:48:40 PM
Yeah I don't think there's any Roosevelt streets or anything like that in the UK. We do have statues of FDR, Ike, Washington, Kennedy, Reagan and Lincoln (at least) though.
FDR is the Roosevelt in question. Teddy didn't have much influence on Europe.
Just didn't want to repeat 'Roosevelt' too much :blush:

Ah! Is this like saying Bloody Mary?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on February 17, 2015, 04:21:07 PM
Cursory check reveals for Vienna streets/squares named after Kennedy, Darwin, Billy Wilder, Roosevelt, Jenny Lind.

Warsaw has street named thematically in districts. An area near me has Moliere, Balzac, Zola etc.

There is even a Whinnie the Pooh street.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 04:13:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 04:12:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 03:59:44 PM
There was a subway station named after him in Paris at least.

Still is, no?

Well there was in 2000 I have not been back to confirm :P

But yes I presume it still is there.

You presume correctly. :) This métro station serves the the Franklin Delano Roosevelt avenue, which intersects the Champs-Élysées.

mongers

I'm looking at possible the most notable Roosevelt named street in the UK, most of the others are tiny cul-de-sac, this ones in Chatham and it's a main road of a housing development; other names include; Eden Avenue, Tedder Avenue, Mountbatten Avenue, Bader Crescent, Frost Crescent, Ironside Close, Cunningham Crescent, Montgomery Avenue, Malta Avenue, Tobruk Way, Dunkirk Drive, Burma Way, Arnhem Drive, Alamein Avenue, Cherbourg Crescent, Packer Place.

All this sandwiched between Churchill Avenue in the South and the aforementioned Roosevelt Avenue in the North. The two linked directly by Stalin Avenue; I wonder if the developer had some understanding of wartime leadership?   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2015, 04:54:13 PM
With Montgomery Avenue and Cunningham Crescent. I do wonder if it maybe an idea to rename Stalin Avenue :mellow:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Stalin+Ave,+Chatham,+Medway+ME5/@51.3619284,0.5344106,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x47d8cd3eae654ee7:0xa79add37a7fdac31

It is odd that Stalin links the other two leaders; I'm have tempted to visit the housing estate if I ever make it to the dockyards there.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2015, 03:44:36 PM
Dumb question, takes backs.

De Soto, Ponce de Leon, etc.

Not to mention that a lot of stuff is named for British guys.  They count as foreigners, too, you know.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2015, 03:43:55 PM
Any US streets named for furriners other than Lafayette?
Over here we have streets for Kosciusko and Pulaski.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2015, 08:07:43 PM

I can never pronounce that fucking bridge. Also, I like how it always has digital signs noting delays. It always has delays! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 08:15:30 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2015, 08:07:43 PM

I can never pronounce that fucking bridge. Also, I like how it always has digital signs noting delays. It always has delays! :angry:
In Russian he's pronounced Koh-STEW-shko.

Tamas

As if it wasn't obvious enough already that Putin basically had himself invited to parade around an EU and NATO member country as if he isn't becoming a pariah, two things made that clearer:
-The Hungarian side claimed pre-meeting that this personal visit was necessary to sign the extension of the long term gas contract ("OMG TEH FAMILIES WILL BE WITHOUT HEATING OTHERWISE") Then what they signed was a minor agreement they have already made a year ago concerning the consumption of the gas we already payed for IIRC.

-On the press conference, Putin really didnt give a damn about Hungary or common affairs, he was busy telling the defenders of that besieged town to surrender if they know what is good for them.

You better face it guys: you have a Trojan Horse in NATO and EU.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2015, 04:38:08 AM

Danger: Hazardous Metaphors
Authorized Personnel Only

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2015, 04:38:08 AM
As if it wasn't obvious enough already that Putin basically had himself invited to parade around an EU and NATO member country as if he isn't becoming a pariah, two things made that clearer:
-The Hungarian side claimed pre-meeting that this personal visit was necessary to sign the extension of the long term gas contract ("OMG TEH FAMILIES WILL BE WITHOUT HEATING OTHERWISE") Then what they signed was a minor agreement they have already made a year ago concerning the consumption of the gas we already payed for IIRC.

-On the press conference, Putin really didnt give a damn about Hungary or common affairs, he was busy telling the defenders of that besieged town to surrender if they know what is good for them.

More a rickety 3-legged stool than a huge wooden craven symbol.

I'd entirely forgotten Hungary was in NATO and no doubt when it leaves, it'll be on page 3/4 for a day or two.