News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 03:04:13 PM
Incidentally, Tbilisi has landmarks dedicated to both George W. Bush and Lech Kaczynski. I guess their thing is taking other nations' discarded presidents. :P

Pro western georgians are basically cheap hookers desperate to get away from their abusive pimp (Russia). Anything else is good enough.

Unfortunately for them, absolutely no one else in the world wants anything they can offer.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 05:19:42 AM
Well, hate to be a dick, Tamas, but the fact that you have not torn down a monument like this over the last 25 years means you are in fact little bitches.
I don't mind that so much. But yeah Orban letting Putin go is quite something. It's like Putin just wants to show off his new satrapy.

QuoteJust googled a bit and I can't find anything in Germany named for Roosevelt.
Yeah I don't think there's any Roosevelt streets or anything like that in the UK. We do have statues of FDR, Ike, Washington, Kennedy, Reagan and Lincoln (at least) though.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2015, 03:48:40 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 05:19:42 AM
Well, hate to be a dick, Tamas, but the fact that you have not torn down a monument like this over the last 25 years means you are in fact little bitches.
I don't mind that so much. But yeah Orban letting Putin go is quite something. It's like Putin just wants to show off his new satrapy.

QuoteJust googled a bit and I can't find anything in Germany named for Roosevelt.
Yeah I don't think there's any Roosevelt streets or anything like that in the UK. We do have statues of FDR, Ike, Washington, Kennedy, Reagan and Lincoln (at least) though.

I think you're broadly right, though I do recall driving along one perhaps ?

edit:
well whilst there does appear to be half a dozen possibles, I clearly can't have driven along any of them.  :hmm:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=r+d+roosevelt+uk&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4#Y3A9NTIuMDEwMzAwfi0wLjc0OTUwMCZsdmw9NyZzdHk9ciZlbz0w

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2015, 03:43:55 PM
Any US streets named for furriners other than Lafayette?

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2015, 03:44:36 PM
Dumb question, takes backs.

De Soto, Ponce de Leon, etc.

Nobody gives a shit anymore, as Americans are fucking ignorant as balls when it comes to their own history that can't fit in a Tweet, but Casimir Pulaski gets a lot of love around the country, re: highways, parks, etc.

Valmy

Washington

You built a statue of him yet you didn't think he was worthy of a regular army commission? :angry:

Well there was a street named after him in Berlin for a little while:

There was a subway station named after him in Paris at least.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 03:59:44 PM

Still is, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 04:12:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 03:59:44 PM

Still is, no?

Well there was in 2000 I have not been back to confirm :P

But yes I presume it still is there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

I can confirm that I saw it in 2013 and wiki says it is still there. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2015, 03:29:52 PM
Just googled a bit and I can't find anything in Germany named for Roosevelt.

I found a Franklin-Roosevelt-Straße in Wiesbaden, Germany.

Not Germany but there is apparently a Franklin-D-Rossevelt-Straße in Austria.

Zanza

FDR is the Roosevelt in question. Teddy didn't have much influence on Europe.

CountDeMoney

I found a Truman-ku in Hiroshima, Japan.

OK, I didn't.

Syt

Cursory check reveals for Vienna streets/squares named after Kennedy, Darwin, Billy Wilder, Roosevelt, Jenny Lind.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 03:45:31 PM
There was a street named after Walesa in SF but they renamed it once he made a homophobic comment last year.  :nelson:

I saw that street when I visited SF, it was a dump, albeit a very centrally located one.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2015, 04:18:42 PM

But...but...he gave the Spanish a decisive whipping at San Juan Hill :(

Oh and ended the Russo-Japanese War single handedly.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2015, 04:18:42 PM
Just didn't want to repeat 'Roosevelt' too much :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!