News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

It would make more sense to blame the French and the Brits for invading Egypt.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 02:37:55 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2015, 11:51:49 AM
The radicals of both ends like to apply a contemporary twist to it by blaming America for not coming to our aid (nuclear war surely was the better alternative for us, apparently).

See the Poles have a much more realistic whine about the Yalta conference, but even they understand the difference between an ally not entirely willing to sacrifice millions of men for you and an actual oppressor.

That being said, Washington, Wilson, Reagan and even Hoover have a square/street/plaza in Warsaw. Roosevelt gets none. :P

The Brain

I'm shocked that Warsaw doesn't want to commemorate a person who ruled a great power from early 1933 until his death in April 1945, killing civilians in the hundreds of thousands and sending his own citizens to concentration camps.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Incidentally, Tbilisi has landmarks dedicated to both George W. Bush and Lech Kaczynski. I guess their thing is taking other nations' discarded presidents. :P

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on February 17, 2015, 03:04:07 PM
I'm shocked that Warsaw doesn't want to commemorate a person who ruled a great power from early 1933 until his death in April 1945, killing civilians in the hundreds of thousands and sending his own citizens to concentration camps.
:lol:

Never thought about that.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2015, 03:07:17 PM

Does Berlin have landmarks dedicated to Roosevelt? :P

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 03:07:59 PM
Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2015, 03:07:17 PM

Does Berlin have landmarks dedicated to Roosevelt? :P
No, but then it also doesn't have landmarks named for the other person that fits that description. ;)

Martinus

We *used* to have Hitlerstrasse in Warsaw. :P

And a city named after Stalin.

Syt

I recall there being an FDR hospital in Bratislava.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Just googled a bit and I can't find anything in Germany named for Roosevelt.

There is a town called "Pattonville" near where I live though.

Lots of places named after Kennedy in Germany.

dps

Not sure that we Americans can be too snarky about some of this stuff.  After all, we name things like warships and schools after people who rebelled against us, and battles in which they beat us.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2015, 03:29:52 PM
Just googled a bit and I can't find anything in Germany named for Roosevelt.

There is a town called "Pattonville" near where I live though.

Lots of places named after Kennedy in Germany.

FDR is much bigger in Central and South America;  practically every capital has--or at least, used to have--a Roosevelt Boulevard.

Admiral Yi

Any US streets named for furriners other than Lafayette?

Admiral Yi

Dumb question, takes backs.

De Soto, Ponce de Leon, etc.

Martinus

There was a street named after Walesa in SF but they renamed it once he made a homophobic comment last year.  :nelson: