News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on February 14, 2015, 10:45:51 AM
Seen this posted in EUOT. It's well, quite priceless. Dunno where it actually comes from or what they are actually discussing besides Russia taking over the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SemPHeiamBo

I had to do a little research on that.  :lol:

Found the original, complete news broadcast (kind of an, end-of-week news summary really), from one of the Russian tv channels.  It's actually one I use a lot for practice.

The video is them making fun of an apparent statement by the Polish Foreign Minister that the WWII 9 May Victory Parade (which is a very big deal in Russia, of course) should not take place in Moscow, but maybe in other Allied capitals.  So they make a joke of the Russian military going on tour carrying on their victory parade in other European/World capitals.

After what is shown there, they got on bashing the Polish FM while showing a very bad cartoon caricature, and the text "Rottweiler of Foreign Affairs" (in Russian, a Foreign Minister is always "Minister of Foreign Affairs", that's just how they form the term) underneath.

celedhring

Thanks, I thought it was too outrageous even for them.

jimmy olsen

I think that the only man in history (when adjusted for inflation) richer than that would be J.D. Rockefeller  :hmm:

http://www.businessinsider.com/russias-former-largest-foreign-investor-putin-is-worth-200-billion-2015-2#ixzz3RxK64N7F
Finance More: Russia
Russia's former largest foreign investor: Putin is worth $200 billion

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

You can get a good hint at the relationship between Putin and Hungarian PM Orban:

Putin is visiting Budapest today. Pro-government press has been polishing Putin's dick for months now anyway but the most servilient ones are REALLY dripping saliva now.

And on the other side: Putin will lay wreaths for rememberence at two monuments. One of them, is a freshly renovated monument in the Soviet military cemetary, with bright golden letters reading:
"Eternal gratitude and honor to the Soviet heroes who gave their life fighting the counter-revolution in 1956 for the freedom of the Hungarian people".

The sacred nature of our 1956 revolution is the cornerstone of post-1989 Hungary. It is basically the only modern historical event of the country which all political sides have the same opinion on, namely that it was a moment of unprecedented national unity, as we tried to turn the tide of history and fight off the Soviet shackles.

So, in my opinion, Putin choosing that monument instead of the gazillion other ones from WW2 (where rememberance is much more valid and prudent) is basically spitting us in the face.
And showing that Orban is his little bitch.

Only Russian press will be allowed at that particular happening, by the way.

Martinus

Well, hate to be a dick, Tamas, but the fact that you have not torn down a monument like this over the last 25 years means you are in fact little bitches.

We had a monument to the Soviet Army "liberating" Poland in 1945 (which is, shall we say, a much more ambiguous and shades-of-grey thing than the one you have) in one of Warsaw's squares but it is not returning to its spot after being sent to cleaners last year - the authorities said they will find a "more suitable spot for it". :P

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2015, 05:13:40 AM
One of them, is a freshly renovated monument in the Soviet military cemetary, with bright golden letters reading:
"Eternal gratitude and honor to the Soviet heroes who gave their life fighting the counter-revolution in 1956 for the freedom of the Hungarian people".

WTF??  :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

It was left to rot away slowly until a year or two ago when this Russian billionaire financed its renovation. So we are not little bitches, we are whores. :(

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on February 17, 2015, 05:20:51 AM
One of them, is a freshly renovated monument in the Soviet military cemetary, with bright golden letters reading:

Hungarian culture is what you get after centuries of rape by Turks, Germans and Russians, it seems. :P

Tamas

Yeah I know. I mean the text is from the late 50s of course, but the whol disgrace of a monument was rotting away as I just wrote, until this billionaire, following Putin's call of saving Soviet monuments abroad, bribed his way into restoring it to all its glory.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2015, 05:21:19 AM
It was left to rot away slowly until a year or two ago when this Russian billionaire financed its renovation. So we are not little bitches, we are whores. :(

By the way, Polish press is mainly reporting protests against Orban/Putin in Budapest right now. Are these widespread or relatively minor?

Syt

The Soviet Russian perspective:
http://tass.ru/en/economy/777999

Quote]...]

Upon arrival in Budapest, Putin will lay a wreath at the Unknown Soldier's Tomb by the Millennium Monument. He will then take part in the ceremony of reopening a Soviet war memorial at Budapest's central cemetery. The monument has undergone large-scale restoration.

"Quite naturally, this event has been timed for the 70th anniversary since the liberation of Budapest," Ushakov said.

Putin will lay a wreath to the memorial to Soviet soldiers. Ushakov said in this connection more than 5,000 Soviet Army servicemen are buried in the territory of the complex. Of that number, twenty-one servicemen had the title of Heroes of the Soviet Union.

[...]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 05:21:40 AM

Hungarian culture is what you get after centuries of rape by Turks, Germans and Russians, it seems. :P

I wanted to point out particularities of Polish history but I lack the spirit: this is highly embarassing and I am ashamed even to have leaders who allow this.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 05:22:46 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2015, 05:21:19 AM

By the way, Polish press is mainly reporting protests against Orban/Putin in Budapest right now. Are these widespread or relatively minor?

About 1500 people attended it last night. No such thing is allowed today, although there will be a pro-Putin demonstration.

One thing to note about last night protest is the trouble with most protests these days there: the far left attempts to overtake every one of them. eg. they tried to make it about the planned Russian expansion of our nuclear power plant, in an anti-nuclear power stance, which triggered opposition from other demonstrators, as they have trouble with Russian influence and general Hungarian corruption, not nuclear power in general.

Syt

According to ITAR-TASS, Russia has also been the biggest trading partner of Hungary for the last year (though trade is down between the two countries).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2015, 05:34:26 AM
About 1500 people attended it last night. No such thing is allowed today, although there will be a pro-Putin demonstration.

Wow, Hungary is really going off the deep end.

It's funny if you consider that all Polish right wingers (especially those from PiS) were Orban fanboys a couple of years ago.