News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 09, 2015, 01:46:41 PM
They should demand Mongolia pay back the tribute given to the Mongol/Tartar yoke as well.

Reparations from Poland for supporting the False Dimitry.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 09, 2015, 12:47:05 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 09, 2015, 12:42:52 PM
I'd think that Russia owes Germany and many other nations financial restitution for having had to cope with and blunt the spread of Russian Communist Totalitarianism. So at the least it's a wash as for who owes who money.    :bowler:

Germany files a counter suit for lost earnings for those assets under the DDR.

Last time I checked you can't sue for lost war. :P

Zanza

Quote from: derspiess on February 09, 2015, 12:10:44 PM
Quote"It is possible that frau Merkel, who so longs for more sanctions against Russia, would never even have been born if it were not for the kindness of the victors towards the defeated," Fokunin said, referring to social programmes organised by the USSR in East Germany after the war.

Yowza.
Merkel was born in the "British sector" of Western Germany anyway. Her parents only moved to Eastern Germany afterwards.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zanza on February 09, 2015, 02:08:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 09, 2015, 12:10:44 PM
Quote"It is possible that frau Merkel, who so longs for more sanctions against Russia, would never even have been born if it were not for the kindness of the victors towards the defeated," Fokunin said, referring to social programmes organised by the USSR in East Germany after the war.

Yowza.
Merkel was born in the "British sector" of Western Germany anyway. Her parents only moved to Eastern Germany afterwards.

Moving from West to East?  Cold War propaganda assured us in the decadent West that such a thing is impossible.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on February 09, 2015, 02:04:18 PM

:hmm:  Not sure how it looks over there, but I'm pretty sure the conventional wisdom is that Germany was on the winning side of the Cold War.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 09, 2015, 02:17:53 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 09, 2015, 02:04:18 PM

:hmm:  Not sure how it looks over there, but I'm pretty sure the conventional wisdom is that Germany was on the winning side of the Cold War.

And the losing side!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Honecker definitely lost.  Poor fella.  He may have even slightly changed facial expressions when the DDR fell.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 09, 2015, 10:08:31 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 09, 2015, 09:55:08 AM
The New Cold War
It will take much more than weapons to save Ukraine—and keep Russia at bay.
By Anne Applebaum

Hard to take seriously any op-ed that actually used the term "gnomes of Zurich".

iirc; i've seen it used on The Economist too.
"http://www.economist.com/news/international/21642185-it-still-time-america-move-gnomes-zurich-mission"

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Norgy

Harold Wilson used it first, didn't he?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Norgy on February 10, 2015, 05:07:46 AM
I think so. Protecting Sterling from the gnomes of Zurich. Tapping into the native distrust of the British people for the Swiss.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 10, 2015, 05:10:16 AM
I think so. Protecting Sterling from the gnomes of Zurich. Tapping into the native distrust of the British people for the Swiss.

not racist AT ALL

:P

Solmyr

Norgy

Judging from what I have seen, the gnomes have had their revenge by invading British gardens.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 10, 2015, 05:10:16 AM
I think so. Protecting Sterling from the gnomes of Zurich. Tapping into the native distrust of the British people for everybody in continental Europe.

FYP.  :P