Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Martinus on December 30, 2014, 11:31:49 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2014, 10:29:18 AM
Greece is interesting.

Yes, the only traitors within the EU. They should be kicked out - and I don't think anyone would miss them.
You know they're the reason Europe is Europe right?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2014, 11:33:44 AM
The fuck, Vietnam?  Is this still First Blood: Part II?

Countries that see China as the primary threat are naturally going to have a higher opinion of Russia.

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on December 30, 2014, 11:34:42 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 30, 2014, 11:31:49 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2014, 10:29:18 AM
Greece is interesting.

Yes, the only traitors within the EU. They should be kicked out - and I don't think anyone would miss them.

Not really. They have even less in common with ancient Greeks than Italians have with Romans. It's a nation of genetically inferior Turks who cling to the inferior form of Christianity.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2014, 11:35:16 AM

Countries that see China as the primary threat are naturally going to have a higher opinion of Russia.

So, does it mean China sees China as the primary threat?  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on December 30, 2014, 11:34:42 AM

Sure, and Mubarek built the pyramids.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 30, 2014, 11:39:01 AM

Someone slept through logic class.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2014, 11:43:05 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 30, 2014, 11:39:01 AM

Someone slept through logic class.

I guess my point was that Russia and China are pretty much buddies now so I don't see how fearing China = liking Russia. And a lot of countries on the list who are not fond of China scored low on Russia too. So I think there is no correlation.

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 30, 2014, 10:26:50 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 30, 2014, 10:23:30 AM
And really, 60% of Pakistanis were like "Russia? Who the fuck are they?"  :lmfao:
I liked that :lol:

Also surprised by India.

For the positive opinion, arms deals including prestigious joint projects (such as for India's fifth generation Jet fighter.) Plus, as has been said, not being China (which blots its copybook by having connections to Pakistan.)

For the large "no answer", wouldn't that be normally taken in other polls as neutral? Surprisingly high, yes, but if taken as neutral it simply means that Russia isn't very high in the concerns of the general populace. Which is unsurprising, really - they've got plenty of lunatics closer to home to worry about.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Solmyr

There's a pretty big protest in the center of Moscow against the sentencing of Navalny that was declared today. Live here: http://openrussia.org/post/view/1839/

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Agelastus on December 30, 2014, 12:31:10 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 30, 2014, 10:26:50 AM
Also surprised by India.

For the positive opinion, arms deals including prestigious joint projects (such as for India's fifth generation Jet fighter.) Plus, as has been said, not being China (which blots its copybook by having connections to Pakistan.)

Also the residuals of decades of watching the US sidle up to Pakistani strongmen as a response to India's "Third Way" and Non-Alignment politics.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2014, 11:35:16 AM

Why would they have a high opinion of a country that's a de facto ally of China?

Razgovory

I'm a bit surprised by the German viewpoint.  This summer we kept getting articles on why Germans felt they had to be understanding of the naked aggression by the Russian state.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

A lot of Russian sailors spent a shitload of shore leave in Cam Ranh back in the day.  Largest Soviet Navy port facility of the cold war outside of the WP during the 1980s.  I bet there was more than one little Ivan Nguyen running around down there.

Eddie Teach

I'm most disappointed by the Philippines.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on December 30, 2014, 01:02:18 PM
I'm a bit surprised by the German viewpoint.  This summer we kept getting articles on why Germans felt they had to be understanding of the naked aggression by the Russian state.

In order to better integrate them into the rest of the West, the Germans have been wimpified.  They might be scared into thinking that they have to be "understanding" of Russia if the alternative is standing up to Russia, but that doesn't mean they actually like Russia or Russians.

And Pakistanis apparently really don't give a shit, do they?