Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Gazprom just announced 15%-25% redundancies. :yeah:

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2014, 08:58:32 AM
Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2014, 08:56:55 AM
Wow.

Is this a reflection on the actual power of economic sanctions, or was the Russian economy totally fucked up absent sanctions anyway?

AFAIK it was the plumetting oil price that did them in.

Just like the 1980s.  It is just fucking amazing that after low oil prices destroyed their empire the Russians saw no reason to stop depending entirely on oil and gas.  I mean how fucking stupid can you be?  They had decades to use the high oil prices to retool their economy and instead they just used it for corruption and power shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Russian central bank says it expects to use $85B to shore up the ruble in 2015, so it'll only be partially shitty than it is now.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on December 16, 2014, 08:36:51 AM
Quote from: Zanza on December 16, 2014, 07:03:55 AM
The rouble has lost almost 50% against the US dollar this year as falling oil prices and Western sanctions continue to weigh on the country's economy.

Before the move, the dollar bought 67 roubles. The rate rise moved it up to 58 against the dollar, although it has since slipped back to 62.

Crossed the line of 76 one hour ago.  :D
Damn, those are not trading losses anymore, that's a collapse.  :cry:

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2014, 09:46:10 AM
Wow.

Is this a reflection on the actual power of economic sanctions, or was the Russian economy totally fucked up absent sanctions anyway?

Just like the 1980s.  It is just fucking amazing that after low oil prices destroyed their empire the Russians saw no reason to stop depending entirely on oil and gas.  I mean how fucking stupid can you be?  They had decades to use the high oil prices to retool their economy and instead they just used it for corruption and power shit.

It's not just the Russians who did so... :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Wow.

The answer is probably an interdependent combination of both and more.  The oil price delivered the strongest blow, but the sanctions made many Russians with significant wealth to realize that keeping that wealth in Russia would be idiotic.  Both these events together reinforced the loss of confidence of the strength that is not imaginable to Americans.  These two things together then lead to the next, IMO, significant factor:  Putin losing the plot on economics, and sidelining and/or maligning the professional economists in favor of the KGB faction.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2014, 10:03:12 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2014, 09:46:10 AM
Wow.

It's not just the Russians who did so... :(

Yeah the power shit is a Languish fixture.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2014, 09:47:26 AM
Russian central bank says it expects to use $85B to shore up the ruble in 2015, so it'll only be partially shitty than it is now.

They spent 90B this year.  This crisis seems worse then then the one in 1998.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Wow.

From what I read the damage is about  5:2 oil:sanctions - so while oil is the prime driver, the sanctions are piling it on.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2014, 10:47:51 AM
From what I read the damage is about  5:2 oil:sanctions - so while oil is the prime driver, the sanctions are piling it on.

With the added bonus that, while oil could bounce back, the damage from the sanctions will steadily increase over time.

Admiral Yi

My personal feeling is it's more weighted towards oil than that.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2014, 01:27:41 PM

My personal feeling is it's more weighted towards oil than that.

I think I mentioned it in this thread earlier - the Russian Finance or Foreign minister (can't recall which) was saying that they estimated the cost to the Russian economy from the drop in oil prices was at about $100B, while the sanctions came in at $40B.

That was maybe about a month ago, and an official Russian statement, so take it for what it's worth.

Do you think the damage from the oil drop is higher than that, or do you think the sanction damages are overstated?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2014, 02:37:33 PM
I think I mentioned it in this thread earlier - the Russian Finance or Foreign minister (can't recall which) was saying that they estimated the cost to the Russian economy from the drop in oil prices was at about $100B, while the sanctions came in at $40B.

That was maybe about a month ago, and an official Russian statement, so take it for what it's worth.

Do you think the damage from the oil drop is higher than that, or do you think the sanction damages are overstated?

The price has declined a lot since then, and that overlooks the fact that oil revenue generates a great deal of the Russian government budget.

Berkut

I suspect that the damage from sanctions isn't really additive, but rather multiplicative. IE, absent the oil drop, sanctions would not be nearly as painful, and absent sanctions, the ability to handle the oil drop might be more robust.

I am just speculating of course. But I suspect the sanction restrictions make maneuvering to deal with the oil drop impacts much more difficult.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned