And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://rt.com/news/211599-ruble-oil-sanctions-russia/

QuoteWest behind falling ruble and oil prices - Russian spy chief

Washington and its allies are pursuing a regime change policy towards Russia, deliberately introducing sanctions and attacking the ruble through manipulation of world oil prices, the head of Russia's external intelligence agency has said.

Mikhail Fradkov, the head of the Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR), warned that Moscow is aware of US moves to oust Putin from power.

"Such a desire has been noticed, it's a small secret," Fradkov - a former prime minister - told Bloomberg on Thursday. "No one wants to see a strong and independent Russia."

He also attributed the more than 30 percent drop in oil price partly to US actions. Lower prices on one of Russia's main exports placed immense pressure on the ruble, which is also suffering from sanctions. The ruble has lost 39 percent of its value against the dollar so far this year.

Foreign investment funds are "taking part" in ruble speculation via intermediaries, Fradkov said. "Any speculation has specific schemes and the schemes have a number of participants."

READ MORE: Those looking to profit from plunging ruble will be 'dealt with' – Putin

Earlier on Thursday, Russian president Vladimir Putin in his address to the Federal Assembly said that the government knows exactly who is profiting from speculation against the Russian ruble, and that the government and central bank have tools to punish them.

"The government knows who these profiteers are. It is time to do something about them," Vladimir Putin said during his 11th state of the nation address in the Kremlin's St. George's Hall in Moscow.

The political and economic tensions can only be halted once the West learns to respect Moscow's interests, but for now Russia will focus on solving domestic issues.

It will take two to four years to reach the "more objective understanding needed for lifting some barriers and cooperation," Fradkov concluded.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Lol, the ruble.  I remember the days when even the peso laughed at that shit.

Martinus

You can't have good economy when even your currency name sounds like "rubble". :P

Valmy

QuoteHe also attributed the more than 30 percent drop in oil price partly to US actions

Well it is partly due to US actions, along with every other nation non earth that either produces or consumes oil, but this super spy at least got that right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Wait, the sanctions were deliberate?  Is he sure of that?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on December 05, 2014, 02:15:48 AM
QuoteHe also attributed the more than 30 percent drop in oil price partly to US actions

Well it is partly due to US actions, along with every other nation non earth that either produces or consumes oil, but this super spy at least got that right.

It's mostly due to slowing in the rate of growth of Chinese energy demand, really.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

http://rt.com/news/212527-eye-sauron-moscow-scyscraper/

QuoteReal-life 'Eye of Sauron' will open up over Moscow skyscraper tower

Tolkien fans rejoice! The 'Eye of Sauron' now is not just fiction – it will light up the skyline of Moscow-City to ominously watch down on the Russian capital as the latest "Hobbit" movie premiers in Russia on Thursday night.

Fans of the British fiction novelist J. R. R. Tolkien will re-create the Eye of the Dark Lord Sauron from the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy on Wednesday night, according to The Hollywood Reporter Russia.

The creators from a Russian art-group 'Svechenie' dreamed up this wild installation as a tribute to the great saga and its film adaptation.

They said that the installation of a real life Eye of the Dark Lord of Mordor will "let millions of fans visit Middle-earth" – the fictional world where the adventures of the trilogy take place.

The light installation of the perilous Eye engulfed in flames will be set up on the roof of the "IQ-quarter" complex at the Gals-development company in Moscow International Business Center "Moscow-City".

In Tolkien's saga the lidless Eye was the symbol of power and fear though which the Dark Lord Sauron was able to exert his will over Middle-earth. It was stationed atop the Barad-dûr tower – the fortress from which Sauron watched over the world. The All Seeing Eye is an allusion to mass surveillance and control.

The epic fantasy adventure films based on Tolkien's novel were directed by Peter Jackson. The first part of the trilogy - The Fellowship of the Ring - was released in 2001. Following the global success Jackson filmed Tolkien's prequel novel "The Hobbit. Or There and Back Again." The movie series features three parts, the last of which was released in December.

:lmfao: I have an odd feeling that the initiators have an intended subtext with this, but I can't quite put my finger on it ...  :hmm: :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Hahahaha. I saw that in passing on Facebook and thought it was the Onion.  :lmfao:

Martinus

But if there is one skill former Eastern Bloc's artists excel at it's the ability to sneak stuff like that past the censors.  :lol:

The Larch

I thought that The Shard in London already fulfilled that "eye of Sauron" role.  :P

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on December 09, 2014, 06:44:44 AM
I thought that The Shard in London already fulfilled that "eye of Sauron" role.  :P

I like The Shard :)

mongers

Interesting interview with Gary Kasparov on the news last night, seems a decent guy and unusually for a top chess player has a non-egotistical view of the world.

Said he was in effect in exile now, as to go back would be "a one way ticket". 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on December 09, 2014, 07:07:11 AM

Even if they don't admit people wearing sport shoes?  :ph34r:

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on December 09, 2014, 07:13:58 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 09, 2014, 07:07:11 AM

Even if they don't admit people wearing sport shoes?  :ph34r:

:lol: :P

Sheilbh

Worth watching to the end for the final leer. For the profoundly tasteless oligarch:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S9KClr9x8NI
Let's bomb Russia!