News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

The Daily Mail sector of the UK is apparently having a minor fit because a Russian carrier group went through the English Channel.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on May 09, 2014, 03:00:56 PM
The Daily Mail sector of the UK is apparently having a minor fit because a Russian carrier group went through the English Channel.
OMG Channel Dash Flashback!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Does such a thing actually exist?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on May 09, 2014, 07:57:23 PM

Does such a thing actually exist?  :hmm:

Well, from what I read it was a group of ships including an aircraft carrier.

Razgovory

I didn't know that carrier could still leave port.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

It occasionally breaks down at sea.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maximus

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

I will admit that I enjoy the Fail more when it flounders around trying to whip up sales by misreporting naval events than I do when it flounders around trying to whip up sales by lying about political events.

Apparently, the editors of the fail think that there can be no Cold War without a Russian carrier group transiting the Channel, and there cannot be a Russian carrier group transiting the Channel without a Cold War!  :lol:

Also, the Brits have produced a most remarkably ugly ship in the form of the Type 45s.  They make the Perry class look like the Picasso class.  I wonder how much extra the ships cost to pay for the uglyization.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2014, 04:41:48 AM

Collective blowjob? :unsure:

These guys part of an Elite force, modeled on the US Navy SEALS.  The Russians didn't quite get the idea right though.  For instance, this is the part of the parade where Putin throws them fish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

Right after Barack Obama's inauguration in 2009 the local shows on Detroit Public Radios went nuts.  There were not enough superlatives in the English language to describe Barack.  I listened to a program discussing Barack's athletic prowess; both comentators agreed that Barack was easily the most athletic President the United States ever had.  Be that as it may, no puny American president can compare with athletic ability of glorious Russian President:

QuotePutin dominates hockey game with 6 goals; Obama content on the course with bogey 6

First bare-chested horseback riding and hunting. Then hang-gliding and diving. Now, ice hockey.
Russian President Vladimir Putin's latest high-profile, athletic event covered by government-run media is the prime-time win of his amateur hockey team, stocked with former Russian puck stars, over a series opponent.

And no doubt, Mr. Putin was named the game's first star: He scored six goals and dished five assists in his team's 21-4 win.

Mr. Putin's image, decked in hockey helmet and gear, interrupted the news hour — just at the point when the coverage had turned to the battle between Russia and neighboring Ukraine, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Mr. Putin has been a semi-regular on news sporting coverage, making international headlines for previous bare-chested horseback rides that were sometimes used in comparison with President Obama's sandal-footed vacations.

After the lopsided win, Mr. Putin remarked: "There are no winners or losers here. This is a friendly game," the Wall Street Journal reported.

Pavel Bure, the former Vancouver Canuck known in NHL circles as the 'Russian Rocket,' hailed Mr. Putin's excellent physical condition.

"That the president of the world's largest country with a busy schedule has learned to play ice hockey and found time for that is an indication of his excellent shape," Mr. Bure said, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Mr. Putin's obsession with projecting athletic domination may be a sign of overcompensation, psychologists say.

On the flip side, President Obama regularly plays basketball without trying to choreograph the game's outcome. And he's a 17-handicap golfer, which is respectable — though not outstanding.
That honor goes to former North Korea dictator Kim Jong-il: He shot 38-under par with 11 holes-in-one while playing his very first round of golf.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned much in the media that Mussolini did the exact same thing.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2014, 01:06:39 PM
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned much in the media that Mussolini did the exact same thing.

Mussolini? Who is that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.