News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

So it didn't get counted as it is a bizarre feature specific to the UK?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2014, 07:42:48 AM
To limit the meaning of clause 6 to simply not banning gay athletes requires a significant amount of Derspice Right Think.

So what does it mean then?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2014, 12:13:37 AM
There is also this little quote at the bottom:

QuoteThe practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Which seems odd since I did not think Russia was banning gay people from competing. 

Still anything that directs world outrage towards such a repellant bunch of assholes like the Russian Government is good.

Sure, they're allowed to compete... as long as they act straight.  A gay medal winner couldn't even thank their partner publicly.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 07, 2014, 12:29:11 PM
Sure, they're allowed to compete... as long as they act straight. 

So did I miss the news that male figure skating was cancelled?  :unsure:

QuoteA gay medal winner couldn't even thank their partner publicly.

Really?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I heard on NPR that the IOC was telling athletes to keep the medal ceremonies clean, but to do whatever they wanted to in their press conferences.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2014, 12:57:31 PM
I heard on NPR that the IOC was telling athletes to keep the medal ceremonies clean, but to do whatever they wanted to in their press conferences.

That'll keep the afoul of the IOC but that doesn't mean it'll be okay for Russia.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2014, 01:20:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2014, 12:57:31 PM

That'll keep the afoul of the IOC but that doesn't mean it'll be okay for Russia.

but Russia isn't going to mess with any Western Athlete. Sucks if you are Russian & gay but that's nothing new to those people.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 07, 2014, 01:24:06 PM
but Russia isn't going to mess with any Western Athlete. Sucks if you are Russian & gay but that's nothing new to those people.

Is that supposed to be reverse psychology?  Russia's almost as bad as the UAE for arresting foreigners for violating local morality laws.  In fact, ten seconds of googling brings this up: http://www.towleroad.com/2013/07/meet-the-four-dutch-citizens-arrested-under-russias-new-anti-gay-law.html

Note that wasn't a protest or anything like that, they raided a human rights seminar.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 07, 2014, 01:33:29 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 07, 2014, 01:24:06 PM

Is that supposed to be reverse psychology?  Russia's almost as bad as the UAE for arresting foreigners for violating local morality laws.  In fact, ten seconds of googling brings this up: http://www.towleroad.com/2013/07/meet-the-four-dutch-citizens-arrested-under-russias-new-anti-gay-law.html

Note that wasn't a protest or anything like that, they raided a human rights seminar.
GF said "Western athlete."  Your example doesn't refer to any athletes, so isn't a counter-example that impacts his point.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

It might be sarcasm, but I don't see how it could be reverse psychology, unless GF thinks high level Russian officials are browsing Languish.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Putin said as long as they stay away from children, gay athletes should be fine.

But seriously, the Russians won't do squat during the Olympics.

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on February 07, 2014, 01:44:42 PM

Putin said as long as they stay away from children, gay athletes should be fine.

But seriously, the Russians won't do squat during the Olympics.

Especially when they are trying to gobble up Ukraine while the world is busy with the Olympics

grumbler

The ambassador to the US from Georgia* spoke at my school recently, and had a wonderful line (attributed by him to an unknown Russian author) about how "Russia has an unpredictable past."

*I had lunch with him!  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on February 08, 2014, 08:55:07 PM
The ambassador to the US from Georgia* spoke at my school recently, and had a wonderful line (attributed by him to an unknown Russian author) about how "Russia has an unpredictable past."

In all your years that was the first time you heard that?  :huh:

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on February 08, 2014, 09:24:55 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 08, 2014, 08:55:07 PM

In all your years that was the first time you heard that?  :huh:
:huh:  I was talking about a Georgian ambassador who only spoke on Monday.  How could I have heard him "in all my years" when he spoke less than a week ago?

Bayraktar!