News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on February 06, 2014, 04:50:40 PM

I can see how that picture can be useful, if you don't want to use Russian hookers for fear of being honeytrapped, and don't want to use Russian Internet for fear of getting hacked.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on February 06, 2014, 05:16:27 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 06, 2014, 04:50:40 PM

I can see how that picture can be useful, if you don't want to use Russian hookers for fear of being honeytrapped, and don't want to use Russian Internet for fear of getting hacked.

As mastrubation fodder, it's pretty limited in appeal.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Why, because he's not topless in that picture?

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on February 06, 2014, 05:29:50 PM
Why, because he's not topless in that picture?

But maybe he's not wearing any pants.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on February 06, 2014, 02:11:36 PM
Stop stalking me, creepy old man.

Somebody's got sand in their vagina!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

Google joins in on the fun, not that any Russians will see it. Wonder if Yandex will change their logo?

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 06, 2014, 10:27:43 PM
Okay, that's dumb.

There is also this little quote at the bottom:

QuoteThe practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Which seems odd since I did not think Russia was banning gay people from competing. 

Still anything that directs world outrage towards such a repellant bunch of assholes like the Russian Government is good.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Yeah, not discrimination if you know have people concerned about talking about themselves for fear of trumped up charges.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/feb/01/russia-gay-rights

An example of the gay propaganda law in practice.

QuoteRussian editor fined for breaking 'gay propaganda' law

A Russian court has fined a newspaper editor for publishing an interview with a gay school teacher who was quoted as saying "homosexuality is normal."

Alexander Suturin, editor of the Molodoi Dalnevostochnik, a weekly published in the far eastern city of Khabarovsk near the border with China, was ordered to pay a fine of 50,000 rubles (£870) for violating a law that bans "gay propaganda" among minors.

Suturin, who is to appeal against the ruling, published an interview with a geography teacher, Alexander Yermoshkin, after he had been fired because of his sexual orientation (see details in the Moscow Times).

After launching an investigation, an official of the Russian state's media watchdog, the Federal Mass Media Inspection Service, pointed to a quote by Yermoshkin: "My very existence is effective proof that homosexuality is normal."

She said: "This statement goes against logic. By offering it to underage readers, the author is misleading them about the normality of homosexuality."

The "gay propaganda" law has drawn strong international criticism amid calls for a boycott of the winter Olympics in Sochi, which is due to start on Friday (7 February).

Sources: Interfax via AP via NYTimes
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I saw this cartoon a few weeks ago, and thought it funny.  This is as good a place as any to share it.

Mostly I like the idea of uncle Vlad having an inbox called "Putin" and an outgoing box labeled "Putout".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 06, 2014, 12:12:04 PM

RoTW : Why you hate Olympics?

I'm amused that whoever compiled that table decided that "red button" coverage doesn't really equate to the start of "Live TV" coverage.

I watched quite a bit of qualifying for various events yesterday. :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2014, 12:13:37 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 06, 2014, 10:27:43 PM
Okay, that's dumb.

There is also this little quote at the bottom:

QuoteThe practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Which seems odd since I did not think Russia was banning gay people from competing. 

Yeah, they are just banning any attempt to tell young homosexuals that they are fine and leaving them to the tender mercies of the the Russian equivalent of Neil.  It hard to say on the one hand that everyone can compete in an enviornment of non descrimination in a country which makes it a criminal offence to say its ok to be gay.

To limit the meaning of clause 6 to simply not banning gay athletes requires a significant amount of Derspice Right Think.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Agelastus on February 07, 2014, 07:38:52 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 06, 2014, 12:12:04 PM

RoTW : Why you hate Olympics?

I'm amused that whoever compiled that table decided that "red button" coverage doesn't really equate to the start of "Live TV" coverage.

I watched quite a bit of qualifying for various events yesterday. :)

My guess is a Canuck who couldn't get any info on what red button is.

What's red button?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Agelastus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Red_Button#Availability

Which (since as this map http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_digital_switchover.svg shows the digital switchover is complete) is virtually universally available on people's TVs.

Effectively it functions as an extra channel or two without having to connect to the internet and the main streaming feeds.

And it was showing live footage yesterday, at least as far as I could tell. Hence my amusement that the compiler of the table had to proclaim it not to be "real TV" to make his point*.

*My TV doesn't connect to the internet; it's a 12 year old or more analogue set with a set top box. 
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."