And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on February 05, 2014, 11:12:29 AM
Bach suck my dick.

Standing up for equal rights is not "political dissent". What a douchebag.
Heads of international sporting organizations are inevitably the scum of the scum.  I guess needing Chad's and Burkina Faso's vote kinda makes your morals a little more flexible.

Syt

Bach suck my dick.

When he was voted head of IOC there was much groaning, because he stood for the continuation of business as usual there. I think I may have linked an article about him at the time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Bach suck my dick.

It is, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Bach suck my dick.

Ummm....  That's exactly what it is. :hmm:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: DGuller on February 05, 2014, 11:14:52 AM

Heads of international sporting organizations are inevitably the scum of the scum.  I guess needing Chad's and Burkina Faso's vote kinda makes your morals a little more flexible.

Did not know these two mattered for the Winter Olympics. :hmm: If so, it's hopeless.

grumbler

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 05, 2014, 01:49:59 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 05, 2014, 11:14:52 AM

Did not know these two mattered for the Winter Olympics. :hmm: If so, it's hopeless.
Did not know the IOC only staged eh Winter Olympics. :hmm: If so, it's almost certainly true that the head of the IOC that stages the Summer Games is likely just as corrupt.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on February 05, 2014, 12:28:39 PM
Bach suck my dick.

Ummm....  That's exactly what it is. :hmm:
Ummm... No, that's not what it is.  President Obama can stand up for equal rights in the US, but arguing that he is engaging in "political dissent" by so doing is laughable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Bach suck my dick.

I do wish we could just enjoy the Olympics for what they are though.

In 1996 the US hosted the Olympics in a place where homosexual relations were outright criminalized. There are significant portions of the world where that is still the case (but not in Russia).

Unless we want to restrict hosting the Olympics to anglo/french north america, central and western europe, and a half dozen or so other countries, the hosts sometimes won't be perfect regarding human rights and corruption.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Bach suck my dick.

Russia has equal rights?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on February 05, 2014, 02:27:33 PM
Unless we want to restrict hosting the Olympics to anglo/french north america, central and western europe, and a half dozen or so other countries, the hosts sometimes won't be perfect regarding human rights and corruption.

The IOC has a choice.  Either they do what they say they are going to do under their Charter.  Or they should adopt the Dorsey Rule of very few are perfect so why bother.

As a reminder this is what the IOC says it stands for:

Quote2 Mission and Role of the IOC*
The mission of the IOC is to promote Olympism throughout the world and to lead the
Olympic Movement. The IOC's role is:
1. to encourage and support the promotion of ethics and good governance in sport as
well as education of youth through sport and to dedicate its efforts to ensuring that, in
sport, the spirit of fair play prevails and violence is banned;
2. to encourage and support the organisation, development and coordination of sport
and sports competitions;
3. to ensure the regular celebration of the Olympic Games;
4. to cooperate with the competent public or private organisations and authorities in the
endeavour to place sport at the service of humanity and thereby to promote peace;
5. to take action to strengthen the unity of the Olympic Movement, to protect its independence
and to preserve the autonomy of sport;
6. to act against any form of discrimination affecting the Olympic Movement;
7. to encourage and support the promotion of women in sport at all levels and in all
structures with a view to implementing the principle of equality of men and women;
8. to lead the fight against doping in sport;
9. to encourage and support measures relating to the medical care and health of athletes;

Neil

I'm pretty sure the 'why bother' ship has sailed a long time back.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on February 05, 2014, 08:13:57 PM
I'm pretty sure the 'why bother' ship has sailed a long time back.

I dont subscribe to the that ship has sailed so why bother talking about humans rights theory either.

derspiess

Let it go. Games are about to begin. You aren't going to change Russia, anyway.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grinning_Colossus

Nonsense. One swift kick and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down!
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?