News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2014, 07:06:28 AM
The whole idea that states should spend tax money on sport events is ridiculous to begin with. It is only natural that it is the hotbed of corruption
Nonsense. London, Barcelona, Sydney were all worth it and I don't think any were terribly corrupt. Most big stadiums need at least some national or local/government involvement. Also if there's big sport events then tax money will need to be spent ensuring there's the infrastructure in place etc.

And it's not like those tickets, companies/clubs or athletes are tax free.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 29, 2014, 09:40:27 AM
The whole idea that states should spend tax money on sport events is ridiculous to begin with. It is only natural that it is the hotbed of corruption
Nonsense. London, Barcelona, Sydney were all worth it and I don't think any were terribly corrupt. Most big stadiums need at least some national or local/government involvement. Also if there's big sport events then tax money will need to be spent ensuring there's the infrastructure in place etc.

I oppose it on an ethical ground.

Liep

Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2014, 09:42:57 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 29, 2014, 09:40:27 AM

I oppose it on an ethical ground.

You oppose states trying to make money from investments?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2014, 09:42:57 AMI oppose it on an ethical ground.
Oppose what? Just the Olympics/World Cup or local government helping with stadium construction or using sports events to regenerate an area or national government paying to expand Tube stations to deal with 60 000 people every other weekend?

I think it's like anything weigh up the benefits and costs.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 29, 2014, 09:47:58 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2014, 09:42:57 AMI oppose it on an ethical ground.
Oppose what? Just the Olympics/World Cup or local government helping with stadium construction or using sports events to regenerate an area or national government paying to expand Tube stations to deal with 60 000 people every other weekend?

I mostly oppose the idea of the state getting involved in enterprises such as sporting or other cultural events. Profit or not. If there is no profit, it shouldn't do it. If there is profit, private investors should do it. Not enough profit for that? See point one.

celedhring

The Barcelona Olympics were the best thing to happen to the city since Franco kicked the bucket. I'm very glad my government ponied up for them, they completely transformed this town.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on January 29, 2014, 10:20:44 AM
The Barcelona Olympics were the best thing to happen to the city since Franco kicked the bucket. I'm very glad my government ponied up for them, they completely transformed this town.

There is money moving from one place to an other, of course there are those who benefit. But at the core, it is still just tax money (money coerced out of citizens) spent on a sporting event

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2014, 10:13:17 AM

I mostly oppose the idea of the state getting involved in enterprises such as sporting or other cultural events. Profit or not. If there is no profit, it shouldn't do it. If there is profit, private investors should do it. Not enough profit for that? See point one.

Poor naive Tamas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Everything is going to be fine - this is Russia after all, the nation where freedom fighters interested in protecting our liberty from totalitarian regimes like the NSA go to find refuge.

What could go wrong?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on January 29, 2014, 10:30:03 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2014, 10:13:17 AM

Poor naive Tamas.

Poor naïve Raz.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2014, 10:27:08 AM
There is money moving from one place to an other, of course there are those who benefit. But at the core, it is still just tax money (money coerced out of citizens) spent on a sporting event
Yep. But it helped in a process that turned Barcelona into a very rich city (thus now a cash cow for tax money) and one of Europe's cultural capitals.

And obviously I'd disagree on your view of tax money :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2014, 10:32:02 AM
Poor naïve Raz.

Can you think of anyplace where private investors do make the all the investment in major sports infrastructure?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2014, 10:27:08 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 29, 2014, 10:20:44 AM

Paid back many times by increased international exposure for the city (tourism has skyrocketed since the 90s) and all the tax money it brings, and the use we get off the infrastructure and urban redevelopments (like the cleaning up of the shoreline that opened up the area to private investment in housing and office space). I think the Barcelona Olympics are a good case study of government spending that serves as a catalyst for growth in an urban area. It's not always necessarily the case, but I think you can't have such a black-and-white view, as with everything you balance the benefits vs the expenses.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on January 29, 2014, 10:30:31 AM
Everything is going to be fine - this is Russia after all, the nation where freedom fighters interested in protecting our liberty from totalitarian regimes like the NSA go to find refuge.

What could go wrong?

Wow that is weak.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 29, 2014, 10:36:53 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2014, 10:32:02 AM
Poor naïve Raz.

Can you think of anyplace where private investors do make the all the investment in major sports infrastructure?

The Dallas Cowboys.  Ok they probably got massive tax incentives...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."