News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I know of another reason:  Crimea is running out of water.  Crimea relies on canals in Ukraine for its water, canals that are have been blocked ever since the Russian invasion.  Russia needs Ukrainian water if it wants to continue it's occupation of Crimea.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Razgovory on January 21, 2022, 12:33:50 PM
I know of another reason:  Crimea is running out of water.  Crimea relies on canals in Ukraine for its water, canals that are have been blocked ever since the Russian invasion.  Russia needs Ukrainian water if it wants to continue it's occupation of Crimea.

Yeah, I heard about it, but I think they're finding internal solutions. According to the official sources, the overall water supplies are sufficient for the peninsula, but they're not distributed equally. They're investing into the infrastructure to fix that.

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 21, 2022, 12:27:37 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2022, 12:07:49 PM
Russia has said during the talks going on today that they want NATO troops withdrawn from Romania and Bulgaria which is, I think, new and it seems strange to escalate the demands.

I saw that Romania have rejected and France has called for more troops to be put into Romania and Bulgaria instead :lol:

Bulgaria rejected it as well. From an orthodox slavic nation traditionally close to Russia, that's quite telling.

Honestly, expected and not surprising.

Legbiter

Wouldn't the smart thing for Putin be to officially nab the Donbass region. :hmm: An easy Schleswig-Holstein minor conflict. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 21, 2022, 12:41:58 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 21, 2022, 12:27:37 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2022, 12:07:49 PM
Russia has said during the talks going on today that they want NATO troops withdrawn from Romania and Bulgaria which is, I think, new and it seems strange to escalate the demands.

I saw that Romania have rejected and France has called for more troops to be put into Romania and Bulgaria instead :lol:

Bulgaria rejected it as well. From an orthodox slavic nation traditionally close to Russia, that's quite telling.

Honestly, expected and not surprising.

Still, not good for PR.

Romania was no surprise at all.

Syt

Quote from: Legbiter on January 21, 2022, 12:52:31 PM
Wouldn't the smart thing for Putin be to officially nab the Donbass region. :hmm: An easy Schleswig-Holstein minor conflict. :hmm:

That's my expectation. Create a landbridge from Russia to Crimea, "liberate" the oppressed Ukraine, and create a new buffer of insurrection (like current Donbass) to keep Ukraine busy and unstable. I doubt Putin would go for a full occupation, because I think he knows that the Western parts have a potential to become a quagmire and drain on resources.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 21, 2022, 12:56:14 PM

Still, not good for PR.

I don't think RU has ever been good at PR :)

There's a difference between brotherly feelings which the members of the population may feel towards each other and the government policies...

celedhring

Here's the thing, in Bulgaria the members of the population get to elect their government.  :P

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: celedhring on January 21, 2022, 01:37:17 PM
Here's the thing, in Bulgaria the members of the population get to elect their government.  :P

Really? Ok :)

Valmy

Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 21, 2022, 01:10:56 PM
There's a difference between brotherly feelings which the members of the population may feel towards each other and the government policies...

Yeah I am sure the Bulgarians probably like Russians...the Russian state not so much. But I may be projecting since that is basically my feelings on the matter :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Still, not good for PR.

Yeah, hopefully Bulgarians think better of Russians than Putin.  :P

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on January 21, 2022, 01:37:17 PM

Don't tell me you believe that mass media official narrative.  :rolleyes:

Solmyr

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 21, 2022, 02:09:57 PM

Still, not good for PR.

Yeah, hopefully Bulgarians think better of Russians than Putin.  :P

I don't think anyone can hate Russians as much as Putin does. :P

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on January 21, 2022, 01:56:13 PM

Yeah I am sure the Bulgarians probably like Russians...the Russian state not so much. But I may be projecting since that is basically my feelings on the matter :P

Bulgarians like Russians as long as Russia doesn't start telling them what to do. That's what soured relations just before WW1, too (and that after Russia basically created an independent Bulgaria).

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Solmyr on January 21, 2022, 02:28:19 PM

I don't think anyone can hate Russians as much as Putin does. :P

I respectfully disagree :) He has literally saved the country from the post-communist collapse into many "republics." The process of post-imperial collapse continued for a while (Abkhazia, Crimea, South Ossetia, Transnistria, Donbas, all the ethnic wars in the "stans"...) but he stopped it in his country by negotiating a difficult peace with Chechnya, limiting the power of the oligarchs, and so on.

Now, for example, he's waging a massive war on the government corruption, and he's not joking around.

The Russian quality of life is still far behind Europe and US on some aspects, but it's the highest in all the history of that country.

I know my opinions are unpopular on this board, but that's what I see.