News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Will this be Putin's Russia's 'Iraq 2003' moment?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on January 19, 2022, 07:29:50 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 19, 2022, 07:28:09 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2022, 07:09:07 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 19, 2022, 06:32:34 PM
What? I don't think it's spite or smugness :huh:

It's aspiration and a little bit of grandeur.

Who should we believe about what you think? You or Berkut?

Calling Zoupa's butthurt nationalism grandeur is pushing it a bit though. :p

Not as much as Trianon pushed back Hungary's borders though.  :sleep:

Seriously, what is wrong with you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2022, 08:31:41 PM

:huh:

Tamas threw a playful jab at Zoupa. Zoupa responded in kind. Or is there something about referring to political events 100 years ago that's somehow egregious?

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on January 19, 2022, 06:40:36 PM
Whether smugness or grandeur, it's a bit odd. Disunity in the face of aggression is bad news, not something to be happy about, I would have thought?
Bad news, yes.  Odd, not really.  Despite being Canadian, Zoupa still has a little bit of French in him.  You can get the French out of France, but not France out the French :P
His position is typical of the French left of the early 2000s, so not very odd to me.  I'm still disapointed by this kind of attitude, from anyone, but I am not very surprised.
It is true the US does not pay much mind to its allies in time of peace, lately, multiplying the acts of economic agression.
I don't think letting Putin have another go at Ukraine is the way to solve such disputes though.  When he feels he's ready to push further, he'll launch a full scale assault against another member, NATO or not.  Quite possibly when he'll be certain the alliance will simply not act to defend its member, the way Trump proposed.

And when he does that, he'll be in a position to inflict much more harm.  Kinda like Germany in 1936.  France and the UK could have stopped Germany right there, but they didn't. By 1939, it took all of the might British Empire/Commonwealth and many other countries just to prevent the defeat/surrender of Great Britain, and we needed the US and USSR for the final push, once Germany had overextended itself.
I don't think Russia will be nice enough to declare war on China at the same time as its tanks are rolling down Warsaw and Vilnius once more.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2022, 09:17:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2022, 08:31:41 PM

:huh:

Tamas threw a playful jab at Zoupa. Zoupa responded in kind. Or is there something about referring to political events 100 years ago that's somehow egregious?

Perhaps cheering Europeans disunity during a crisis seems pretty cool to you.  I dunno.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

I'm not sure what you're talking about Raz. Macron literally wants the opposite, EU defense and foreign policy.

Quotethese next few weeks should lead us to bring about a European proposal building a new order of security and stability. We must build it between Europeans

https://www.politico.eu/article/macron-wants-new-euro-russian-security-negotiation/

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on January 19, 2022, 09:52:49 PM
I'm not sure what you're talking about Raz. Macron literally wants the opposite, EU defense and foreign policy.

Quotethese next few weeks should lead us to bring about a European proposal building a new order of security and stability. We must build it between Europeans

https://www.politico.eu/article/macron-wants-new-euro-russian-security-negotiation/
if it happens, it'll be a very good thing.  But I doubt it will.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Yeah I think what the French claim to want to do would be great and actually in our interests.

Berkut strongly disagrees though :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2022, 11:40:18 PM

Yeah I think what the French claim to want to do would be great and actually in our interests.

Feels like empty rhetoric though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 20, 2022, 12:19:09 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2022, 11:40:18 PM

Feels like empty rhetoric though.

Probably. I mean nobody else really seems onboard so...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Quote from: Malthus on January 19, 2022, 01:22:46 PM
However, I have trouble buying that Putin actually and sincerely believes the nonsense he spews. He's supposed to be a chess master of manipulation, not a lucky rube like Trump.

I'm baffled where people got this idea. Putin is absolutely a lucky rube, he was a two-bit gang member from the slums who became a KGB pawn and then moved into organized crime, which propelled him to the top in the 90s.

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on January 20, 2022, 04:03:17 AM
However, I have trouble buying that Putin actually and sincerely believes the nonsense he spews. He's supposed to be a chess master of manipulation, not a lucky rube like Trump.

I'm baffled where people got this idea. Putin is absolutely a lucky rube, he was a two-bit gang member from the slums who became a KGB pawn and then moved into organized crime, which propelled him to the top in the 90s.

While I'd agree his genius shouldn't be (over)stated as that just buys into his propaganda, dismissing him as some kind of Trumpian rich dumb papa's boy would also be a mistake. I imagine you had to be pretty cruel and cunning to survive your way to the top in Russia. Maybe it was a less dangerous road than in previous centuries but there had to be some pretty savage and cunning individuals gunning for the same job.

The Brain

Quote from: Solmyr on January 20, 2022, 04:03:17 AM

Your description doesn't sound Trumpian at all.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

I didn't say he was like Trump, but he definitely isn't some "chess master of manipulation". What are people basing this on?

The Brain

Quote from: Solmyr on January 20, 2022, 04:13:43 AM
I didn't say he was like Trump, but he definitely isn't some "chess master of manipulation". What are people basing this on?

You said he is "absolutely a lucky rube". Your description doesn't sound like a lucky rube at all.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.