News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

The idea that the West has the resources, assets and capabilities to stage this kind of violent conflict in Central Asia is absurd.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on January 07, 2022, 01:07:52 PM
The idea that the West has the resources, assets and capabilities to stage this kind of violent conflict in Central Asia is absurd.
I think Russian propaganda has figured out a while ago that making lies plausible is a waste of resources that could better be spent spreading more lies.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on January 07, 2022, 01:16:20 PM
I think Russian propaganda has figured out a while ago that making lies plausible is a waste of resources that could better be spent spreading more lies.

I just hope we can get some truth seeking investigations to get to the bottom of it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on January 07, 2022, 01:16:20 PM

:lol:  Funny because true.

:(  On second thought, maybe not so funny.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Gaijin de Moscu

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR3000/RR3063/RAND_RR3063.pdf

It's all out in the open access. See page 6 for the contents.

An interesting read.

Zoupa

That's a think tank research paper, not public policy.

grumbler

Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 07, 2022, 07:16:01 PM

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR3000/RR3063/RAND_RR3063.pdf

An interesting read.

These are all recommendations, not operations.  None of them propose trying "to stage this kind of violent conflict in Central Asia."  It's interesting that you try to fly this document as support for your argument.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

We have enough to worry about with China, I cannot imagine we are scheming ways to fuck with Russia. But hey we might not be very smart, I don't know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 07, 2022, 08:10:51 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 07, 2022, 07:07:05 AM
So because revolutions are messy and violent, people should just never rebel against the government?

People don't rebel because they're bored. They rebel because there are systematic problems in society that cannot be solved while working within the system. 

Do revolutions often fail to fix those systematic probelms? Yes, but saying that becasue of that people should nrver try and give up to accept their shitty lot in life is nihilistic in the extreme.

Do you honestly believe what's happening in Kazakhstan now is a "revolution"? :)

My country (Russia) has had more than a fair share of revolutions. We know what happens every time: a hostile force such as communists or nationalists intercepts the agenda. Life ALWAYS worsens after a revolution. It's just a fact... at least for my country. So we've had enough.

It's an attempt at a revolution sure. Revolution don't require a modern ideology like liberalism or communism. There can be theocratic revolutions, tribal uprisings, etc. Coherent ideologies are not required, simply mass participation by enough of the population to take it beyond level of court infighting with the aim of tearing down the powers that be and replacing them.

I think that the French Revolution is a textbook example of a revolution that got out of hand, what with the terror and the quarter century of great power warfare that followed and the country was still better off after all of that.

Even the Russian Revolution, with a terrible communist regime that killed millions of its own people was arguably a net positive, because I don't see that the Czarist regime that they replaced would have had any chance in defeating the Nazi invasion and preventing the ensuing genocide of the Russian people.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Hitler would have kept the pact with a tsarist Russia.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 07, 2022, 10:50:02 PM
Hitler would have kept the pact with a tsarist Russia.

Tsarist Russia would never have made that pact with Hitler.

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Why do you say that?

The old conservative/monarchist wing in Germany got behind him.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Razgovory on January 07, 2022, 08:55:11 PM
Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 07, 2022, 09:36:47 AM

It's like they're repelling an invasion.

Close.  They are an invasion.

They're on their allied territory, on official request from their ally's leadership.

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: grumbler on January 07, 2022, 08:37:04 PM
Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 07, 2022, 07:16:01 PM

An interesting read.

These are all recommendations, not operations.  None of them propose trying "to stage this kind of violent conflict in Central Asia."  It's interesting that you try to fly this document as support for your argument.

Sure, of course.

Chapter 4, Measure 5: Reduce Russian Influence in Central Asia (page 121).

It's all part of the old Big Game. The British Empire, then the US, have actively pursued this policy for centuries. Of course, Russia pursues the mirror strategy just as actively. Why deny the obvious?

This Game will never end... just a part of life.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that's just one possible scenario. One out of many.