Sally Ride, first US woman in space, dies at 61

Started by garbon, July 23, 2012, 09:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2012, 09:26:18 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2012, 08:44:34 AM
There's a lot of things a female astronaut can have inspired girls to do. Easiest is obviously an interest in space, though that doesn't have to extend solely to being an astronaut. Then also inspiring girls to be interested in science and more generally inspiring young girls that they really can be anything that they want to be. I think the latter is the most important / at the heart of why Sally Ride is/was so inspiring.

Well there is a reason why female astronauts inspire but female scientists do not: scientists are not cool.  Except maybe mad scientists...maybe we need more crazy female science super villians.

The mad female astronaut was real inspiring.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 24, 2012, 12:52:50 PM
Lou Reed - Ride, Sally, Ride

Yep mentioned in the article / sadly the first thought that came to mind when I saw that Sally Ride had died. :blush:

@BB - Yeah I didn't even realize she was a lesbian until I read that it said she was survived by her partner of 27 years. :blush: :blush: - though I guess that's what California's laws will help ensure - that kids learn that various influential figures were gay.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2012, 01:12:30 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 24, 2012, 12:52:50 PM
Lou Reed - Ride, Sally, Ride

Yep mentioned in the article / sadly the first thought that came to mind when I saw that Sally Ride had died. :blush:

@BB - Yeah I didn't even realize she was a lesbian until I read that it said she was survived by her partner of 27 years. :blush: :blush: - though I guess that's what California's laws will help ensure - that kids learn that various influential figures were gay.

It's not a matter of "not realizing" - she never mentioned that fact while alive.  It was only in her death that her family mentioned it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Yes but no. I mean it seems a little hard to believe that no one knew about this while she had a partner for the last 27 years.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

Quote from: Barrister on July 25, 2012, 12:54:47 AM
It's not a matter of "not realizing" - she never mentioned that fact while alive.  It was only in her death that her family mentioned it.

Hrm. I agree with garbon here. She lived openly with her partner for a couple of decades. It's true they never appeared in pride parades together, but this isn't the same as keeping her sexual orientation a secret.

garbon

This article is interesting.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/07/the-women-who-would-have-been-sally-ride/260246/

Fun blurb:
QuoteHowever, there was one job that the NASA planners thought a woman might be suited for:

QuoteThe question of direct sexual release on a long-duration space mission must be considered... It is possible that a woman, qualified from a scientific viewpoint, might be persuaded to donate her time and energies for the sake of improving crew morale; however, such a situation might create interpersonal tensions far more dynamic than the sexual tensions it would release... Thus, it appears that methods involving sublimation are more practical than these more direct alternatives.