News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best and worst crimes for employment?

Started by Capetan Mihali, July 23, 2012, 05:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

So, I'm working out misdemeanor plea bargains for clients that often have little to no record.  Since the DAs don't recommend sentences, the main game is "charge bargaining." E.g. plead guilty to driving on a suspended license, and dismiss the seatbelt, speeding, and no license charges.  Or plead guilty to the drug paraphernalia and the resist arrest, dismiss the shoplifting, marijuana, and trespass.

We try to negotiate these deals with the best long-term outcome  in mind, especially job prospects.  But I am realizing that I don't really know how employers perceive different criminal convictions.  These are all misdemeanors, of course, no drug dealing or attempted murder or whatever.

So: how would you rank various crimes for employability?  Especially people who have been in hiring positions.

Here are the general categories in N.C. :

----

Sex: Solicit prostitution, solicit crimes against nature (blowjobs), sexual battery, indecent exposure

Drugs: Marijuana <half ounce, drug paraphernalia, small amounts of narcotic pills

Booze: Open container in public, open container in car, < 21 y.o.

Money: Larceny, unlawful concealment (= shoplifting lite), worthless checks, possession of stolen goods, larceny by employee

Cars: DWI, driving while license revoked, driving without a valid license, speeding >15 or >30

Weapons: Carrying a concealed weapon - gun, carrying a concealed weapon - non-gun (knife, taser, etc.)

Gettin rowdy: Communicating threats, disorderly conduct, intoxicated and disorderly, 2nd degree trespass, breaking and entering (a vacant building)

Fightin: Simple assault, assault on a female, assault by pointing a gun,

Police problems: Resist/obstruct/delay a public official, fictitious info to police, assault on a government official

-----

Obviously, larceny by employee has got to look pretty bad, but what about the rest?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

All do not want. :)

Seems though some of those vary. Like the police problems group - fictitious info to police/delay doesn't seem as bad as assault/resist.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2012, 05:29:16 PM
All do not want. :)

Well, imagine, you are hiring for Little Pharma instead of Big Pharma and you are hiring somebody to assemble information packets and bring them to doctor's offices.  :P  All your applicants have been convicted of at least one of the above, and all are equally qualified.  Which crimes are closer to "hire" on the spectrum, and which are closer to "do not hire"?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Ed Anger

Sex: Solicit prostitution, solicit crimes against nature (blowjobs), sexual battery, indecent exposure

No.

Drugs: Marijuana <half ounce, drug paraphernalia, small amounts of narcotic pills

No.

<21 yr old and open container in public, okay. In car? No

Money: Larceny, unlawful concealment (= shoplifting lite), worthless checks, possession of stolen goods, larceny by employee

Fuck no

Cars: DWI, driving while license revoked, driving without a valid license, speeding >15 or >30

DWI? I hope they rot in hell. Speeding? Who cares? (within reason)

Gettin rowdy: Communicating threats, disorderly conduct, intoxicated and disorderly, 2nd degree trespass, breaking and entering (a vacant building)

Once, maybe tolerable. 2 or more times, troublemaker. pass.

Attacking a female? Pass.

Police problems: Resist/obstruct/delay a public official, fictitious info to police, assault on a government official

No job for you!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Is speeding <15 not even a misdemeanor, or is that a typo?

Eddie Teach

Some of it depends on the job one would think. You wouldn't want to hire a sex offender at a day care, or a thief to handle money.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

I am not going to discuss details regarding security screening at nuclear facilities.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2012, 05:45:15 PM
Is speeding <15 not even a misdemeanor, or is that a typo?

74 in a 60 is an infraction.  Really, only 30 over the limit gets charged as a misdemeanor regularly.  90 in a 60 can get you a day in jail here.

viper37

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 23, 2012, 05:26:52 PM
So: how would you rank various crimes for employability?  Especially people who have been in hiring positions.

Here are the general categories in N.C. :

----

Weapons: Carrying a concealed weapon - gun, carrying a concealed weapon - non-gun (knife, taser, etc.)

-----

Obviously, larceny by employee has got to look pretty bad, but what about the rest?
Booze and cars are ok, so long as DWI is no more than once in his life, or it happenned a long time ago such as it would have no effect now (i.e. he has a a valid driver's license).

Sex: not sure about the definition of battery... is that akin to rape?  In that case, no, if I know that, I'm not employing the person.  The other ones are not a problem, so long as he doesn't act strange at work (like being caught masturbating).

Police problems: Tricky one. Cops are quick on the trigger on that one.  Ask a question when he/she's in a bad mood, or raise your tone, and you got a jail sentence.  So, not really a problem, unless I know the cop has been physically injured (like tying a female officer naked on her car, that would be a big no-no).

Weapons: this is Canada.  No reason to carry a concealed gun outside of Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.  So, no, I would not hire such a person.

Getting rowdy and fighting: no.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 23, 2012, 05:59:07 PM
Some of it depends on the job one would think. You wouldn't want to hire a sex offender at a day care, or a thief to handle money.

Well, sure.  Envision generalized lower-end jobs, but where background checks would actually be run.  So not restaurants or car washes, but not bank teller or substitute teacher.

Caliga

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 23, 2012, 05:26:52 PM
No.
Depends on how long ago the last offense was.  Was it in the 1970s?  Those were crazy times. :)
This is probably ok unless there are multiple convictions.
No.
Maybe one DWI is ok.  Multiple are a big no-no (no drunks need apply).
No, because why wouldn't you just get a CCDW?  Wouldn't be hired due to stupidity.
No.
No.
No.
-----

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Capetan Mihali

Interesting responses, Ed and Cal.  Is anything prostitution-related an automatic no?  Or just the sexual battery (which essentially means groping) and the indecent exposure.

garbon

Not all states allow concealed carry. Also - being denied a job for a crime against nature?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2012, 06:27:05 PM
Not all states allow concealed carry. Also - being denied a job for a crime against nature?

Soliciting prostitution = vaginal sex only.

Soliciting a crime against nature = an oral (or anal, I guess) prostitution offense.

garbon