News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best and worst crimes for employment?

Started by Capetan Mihali, July 23, 2012, 05:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on July 23, 2012, 06:05:26 PM
I am not going to discuss details regarding security screening at nuclear facilities.

Me neither.

However, I will discuss them for police applicants.

Sex: Solicit prostitution, solicit crimes against nature (blowjobs), sexual battery, indecent exposure: Out.  Integrity and judgement concerns.

Drugs: Marijuana <half ounce, drug paraphernalia, small amounts of narcotic pills: Limited use of marijuana, usually no more than a handful of incidents, time factor taken into consideration as "experimenting".  Cocaine products, trying it once won't flush you, if it were many moons ago in the 1980's.  Anything else flushes you.  Forget about LSD, PCP, MDMA or Rx abuse.

Booze: Open container in public, open container in car, < 21 y.o.: Pfft, it's called growing up.  We called that "shift parties".

Money: Larceny, unlawful concealment (= shoplifting lite), worthless checks, possession of stolen goods, larceny by employee
:  Forget it.  Integrity concern.

Cars: DWI, driving while license revoked, driving without a valid license, speeding >15 or >30
:  Not a killer outright, but the specifics of the incident + time would be taken into consideration, although it's a major lapse of judgement.  LEOs are a little hinky on alcohol-related incidents, namely because so many cops become alcoholics over the course of their careers, they don't want to hire any more.  As far as traffic violations, if it's not on your 5 or 10 year record, and it never resulted in losing your license or involving an accident resulting in property damage or personal injury to another, you're cool.

Weapons: Carrying a concealed weapon - gun, carrying a concealed weapon - non-gun (knife, taser, etc.)
: Lack of judgement.

Gettin rowdy: Communicating threats, disorderly conduct, intoxicated and disorderly, 2nd degree trespass, breaking and entering (a vacant building)
  See above about alcohol.  Also, judgement issues.

Fightin: Simple assault, assault on a female, assault by pointing a gun,: Once again, judgement issues.

Police problems: Resist/obstruct/delay a public official, fictitious info to police, assault on a government official : Integrity concerns.

Usually, it's the context of the misdemeanor charge that determines your fate, and the number.  The arrest is one thing, the disposition is another.  Stet, Nolle Pros, PBJ...those can give you a fighting chance.  Guilty?  Done.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2012, 06:27:05 PM
Not all states allow concealed carry. Also - being denied a job for a crime against nature?
AFAIK the only one that still doesn't is Illinois (and DC if you count it as a state).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Wow, seems pretty fucked up.  It doesn't seem helpful to deny a person useful employment for getting caught soliciting a prostitute.  I'm starting to think that there need to be laws against considering minor offenses in employment decisions.  Taken individually, it's just your right as a business owner.  However, taken together, it amounts to a blacklisting.

sbr

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2012, 06:32:57 PM
Wow, seems pretty fucked up.  It doesn't seem helpful to deny a person useful employment for getting caught soliciting a prostitute.  I'm starting to think that there need to be laws against considering minor offenses in employment decisions.  Taken individually, it's just your right as a business owner.  However, taken together, it amounts to a blacklisting.

We just need to keep them in prison until retirement age so they don't need to worry about finding jobs. 

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on July 23, 2012, 06:32:14 PM
Not all states allow concealed carry. Also - being denied a job for a crime against nature?
AFAIK the only one that still doesn't is Illinois (and DC if you count it as a state).
There are states that allow them in theory, but in actuality routinely deny them to the point that they don't really allow them at all.

Caliga

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 23, 2012, 06:26:16 PM
Interesting responses, Ed and Cal.  Is anything prostitution-related an automatic no?  Or just the sexual battery (which essentially means groping) and the indecent exposure.
I think I've interviewed about 1,300 people and to be honest I don't remember ever interviewing anyone with a prostitution-related offense.  I've gotten applications from people with indecent exposure and rape convictions and I didn't bother to call them in for interviews.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2012, 06:34:47 PM
There are states that allow them in theory, but in actuality routinely deny them to the point that they don't really allow them at all.
I'm aware of that (e.g. California) but that wasn't exactly the point he was making. :sleep:

CountDeMoney

Wow, seems pretty fucked up.  It doesn't seem helpful to deny a person useful employment for getting caught soliciting a prostitute.

It's an issue of character and judgement, just like any other brain fart, like shoplifting.

Personally, I never understood the logic of making it criminal to sell what we otherwise give away for free, but hey.  It's a PUBLIC SAFETY ISSUE for all those Libertards out there.

Caliga

Until such time that the government forces businesses at large to hire reprobates, they will never choose to do so.  Why would I hire a felon when in almost all cases there's someone else available with similar or the same skills who is not a felon?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 23, 2012, 06:26:16 PM
Interesting responses, Ed and Cal.  Is anything prostitution-related an automatic no?  Or just the sexual battery (which essentially means groping) and the indecent exposure.

The sexual battery and exposure. I'd assume being a john is okay, but I'd I think the dude is a loser and he'd be placed in the no pile.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on July 23, 2012, 06:38:01 PM
Until such time that the government forces businesses at large to hire reprobates, they will never choose to do so.  Why would I hire a felon when in almost all cases there's someone else available with similar or the same skills who is not a felon?

The OP specifically said they were all misdemeanors. :smarty:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on July 23, 2012, 06:38:01 PM

Especially in a recession of slow economic growth period. Hire the parolee or hire from the GIANT stack of laid off qualified folks?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2012, 06:34:47 PM

Don't mind Cal.  Nigger lucks out and finds somebody moronic enough to give him a carry permit, and he's the next John fucking Lott.

Caliga

Also, if you really want to bang a whore you can go to (most counties in) Nevada and fulfill that life goal without fear of arrest. :)

Monoriu

There is no ranking.  Either you have a criminal record or you don't.  When we are swamped with several hundred applications for every opening, it isn't even a question.