News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So, you think you are tough?

Started by Malthus, July 21, 2012, 08:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

To paraphrase something i may or may have not heard (i might just be making it up :lol: ): "There's a fine line between brave and stupid. You my friend, have long since passed that line"
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Scipio

I myself am a great big girl's blouse.  Fuck bravery.  Stupidest character flaw in human history.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe five officers, who volunteered for the duty, and the cameraman, who did not,

:lol: wtf

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

They had run out of syphilitic blacks?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

The stupidity of people in the military is just a myth. I'm pretty sure each of these guys was smart enough to be a brain surgeon. :)

The Brain

Your irrational fear of radioactivity makes you fear radioactivity irrationally.

The article doesn't say what doses they got, and there doesn't appear to have been any obvious ill effects. If you want dangerous 1950s peacetime stuff look at test pilots.

Monoriu

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on July 22, 2012, 01:45:02 AM
Your irrational fear of radioactivity makes you fear radioactivity irrationally.

The article doesn't say what doses they got, and there doesn't appear to have been any obvious ill effects. If you want dangerous 1950s peacetime stuff look at test pilots.

Actually, I read that they did not get any radiation at all, since there was no fall out and the explosion was high in the air. Apparently most of them still live and noone died prematurely. Still, it's pretty dumb when you are just testing the unknown.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on July 22, 2012, 01:59:31 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 22, 2012, 01:45:02 AM

Actually, I read that they did not get any radiation at all, since there was no fall out and the explosion was high in the air. Apparently most of them still live and noone died prematurely. Still, it's pretty dumb when you are just testing the unknown.

Well they did get the initial gamma ray blast. Which wasn't very intense given the low yield and the distance.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2012, 11:04:08 PM
QuoteThe five officers, who volunteered for the duty, and the cameraman, who did not,

:lol: wtf

"Joe, you aren't going to like today's assignment ... "
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 22, 2012, 01:59:31 AM
Actually, I read that they did not get any radiation at all, since there was no fall out and the explosion was high in the air.
LOL.  Martinus fails at knowledge, science and not being stupid.

At any rate, this was the sort of thing they did in the olden days that they could never do today, things like spaceflight, or winning a war.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on July 22, 2012, 01:30:47 AM
The stupidity of people in the military is just a myth. I'm pretty sure each of these guys was smart enough to be a brain surgeon. :)

Smart enough to calculate what distance was safe for the weapon to go off and the soldiers to be unharmed.  An unwise risk, but a successful test.  It looks like they proved their point.  They should not have looked directly at the explosion and they should have worn at least a clean suit, but they were correct.  Soldiers could survived directly under a nuclear explosion of sufficient altitude.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Scipio on July 21, 2012, 10:27:25 PM
I myself am a great big girl's blouse.  Fuck bravery.  Stupidest character flaw in human history.

I wish everybody thought like you.
I would rule the wold!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"