And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadians now wealthier than Americans

Started by Barrister, July 19, 2012, 11:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2012, 02:16:57 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2012, 02:03:58 PM
Don't you have to cross the border to see an American doctor if you get a cold or a strep throat? :yeahright:
Why would you see a doctor for a cold?

For antibiotics! :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Don't you have to cross the border to see an American doctor if you get a cold or a strep throat? :yeahright:

No, but you have to engage with the American medical system when you get sick.  As I said, whatever tradeoff I make not to have to deal with a system similar to the American model is well worth it.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on July 20, 2012, 02:23:53 PM

Exactly.  You have to choose the right doctor, though, because a lot of them won't prescribe you antibiotics for cold unless you really badger them.  It's not like I'm going to abuse them, I only take them for a day or two, while my symptoms are the worst.  :rolleyes:

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2012, 02:44:07 PM

Exactly.  You have to choose the right doctor, though, because a lot of them won't prescribe you antibiotics for cold unless you really badger them.  It's not like I'm going to abuse them, I only take them for a day or two, while my symptoms are the worst.  :rolleyes:

Right? You just gotta shop around for a bit to find which doc will serve as your medicine cabinet. No big thing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

they don't prescribe antibiotics for colds cause colds are viral infections. Antibiotics are useless there. If it's not viral then it's not a cold, iirc.
and if you're doing antibiotics you need to take the entire amount prescribed. Do not stop the therapy early as you'll only encourage resistency.

but I'm sure you already knew that.

garbon

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 20, 2012, 03:02:59 PM

they don't prescribe antibiotics for colds cause colds are viral infections. Antibiotics are useless there. If it's not viral then it's not a cold, iirc.
and if you're doing antibiotics you need to take the entire amount prescribed. Do not stop the therapy early as you'll only encourage resistency.

but I'm sure you already knew that.

I'm so glad that Ivan was able to catch onto the joke. :mellow:

Richard Hakluyt

The little grey cells are not up to speed it seems.......

Admiral Yi

Not sure if it's big enough to impact the average, but I would think Canada's Chinese immigrants might play a part, in addition to commodity prices and the drop in US housing prices.

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2012, 04:07:32 PM
Not sure if it's big enough to impact the average, but I would think Canada's Chinese immigrants might play a part, in addition to commodity prices and the drop in US housing prices.

The US gets Chinese immigrants too, no?

Hrm. The UK, now Canada; the US seems to be getting relatively poorer.

DGuller

Quote from: Faeelin on July 20, 2012, 04:39:21 PM

We get the poor huddled masses who have a dream and a willingness to work 200 hours a week.  They get the ones who need a piece of real estate to plunge their savings into.

Monoriu

It is easier to go to Canada, according to our experience. 

Admiral Yi

They screen for wealth, we screen for family ties and ability to hide in a tramp steamers' hold for 4 months.

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on July 20, 2012, 04:45:25 PM

It is easier to go to Canada, according to our experience.

System has changed a few times since you got your citizenship.

Per capita we take a lot more immigrants than you guys do.  We don't live next to Mexico so Latin American immigrants are not a huge number.  Most immigrants come from South and East Asia instead - I think I've said my cul-de-sac seems evenly divided between those groups and whites.

We do have investor class immigrants, but I really don't think they are a very large number.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 19, 2012, 03:47:10 PM
Ide drove our averages down.  :(

Quiet, you.  I'm all middle class and shit now.  Why, I even made a regular, non-IBR'd student loan payment today.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2012, 06:38:57 PMWe do have investor class immigrants, but I really don't think they are a very large number.

I believe the gov't put a "temporary stop" or something on investor class immigrants recently. To clear the backlogs or something. It may make sense, but it does kind of suck for people who applied however many years ago and were waiting to be processed in due time to hear their application was meaningless.