News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AssCreed3 - the SPECIAL EDITION madness

Started by Syt, July 18, 2012, 11:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

This article made me chuckle, and I'm glad I have no stake in the AC franchise:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/18/just-release-assassins-creed-not-six-different-versions/

QuoteI want to stress, I'm not talking about a game also offering a special edition with a few physical bonuses. I think those can be great. If you're excited enough to fork out £80 for a game that usually costs £35, because you want some limited edition figurines, art books and maybe a soundtrack, then fantastic. Collector's Editions, as they used to only ever be called, fitted exactly that premise – they were something for those who love to collect, an especially nice presentation box filled with goodies. But the line is drawn where that version contains a different game.

A trailer released today shows what appears in a special edition version of the game, for PC, 360 and PS3, exclusively sold in GameStop: the Freedom Edition. It comes with some lovely silly bonuses, like George Washington's notebook, a figurine of Connor, and a lithograph, all in a collector's box designed by Alex Ross. Stupid to limit it to one store, obviously, especially one without a strong international presence. But the issue lies in its also containing an exclusive in-game single-player mission, Lost Mayan Ruins. You can catch a glimpse of it here: [video]

Except, um, it's not exclusive to GameStop really. Sort of. That extra mission, Lost Mayan Ruins? Despite the claims it's also listed as being available with the Limited Edition, only on consoles. Freedom also has another bonus single-player level, Ghost Of War, that's also in the Join Or Die Edition, and the PC's Digital Deluxe collection. There's also the Sharpshooter multiplayer pack, which gives you an exclusive MP character, along with baubles to go with him. But you'll also get that with Join Or Die and Digi Deluxe too. But, er, pre-order either of the two cross-platform specials at GameStop and you'll also get the Red Coat Multiplayer Pack, which adds a new MP character (the Red Coat), an extra relic, emblem, picture and title.

The statue of Connor can also be picked up by console players in what's known simply as the Limited Edition. Georgie's notebook? Well, you could also look out for the Digi Deluxe, and that Join Or Die Edition, on all three platforms, which also has Ghost Of War, but not Lost Mayan Ruins. And in Join Or Die you also get Connor's medallion, which isn't available anywhere else.

But you want the Second Edition Encyclopedia? Well then you'll have to buy the UbiWorkshop Edition instead, whatever that is. With that you'll also get a graphic novel called Assassin's Creed: Subject 4, available with nothing else. Oh, I missed one. There's also The Special Edition. It also has a single-player mission, A Dangerous Secret, which results in a unique weapon, the Flintlock Musket. Oh, and I've just discovered that the Digital Deluxe version also has A Dangerous Secret, despite the claims of its exclusivity elsewhere. And, er, yet another level, Cozumel Island, giving you Captain Kidd's Sawtooth Cutlass. I've not spotted that listed with any other bundles, but God knows.

And if you were to just buy the vanilla Assassin's Creed III, what would you get? The game minus all three extra levels, the multiplayer extras, and the accompanying weapons and specials.

:bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Though it is in the writer's interest to portray it as such, what you get for the base price doesn't seem so horrible.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

The DLC crap will likely be sold separately on XBox Live/PS network/Steam later. Besides, DLC missions are generally pretty terrible, so they won't get an argument from me about OMG MISSING CONTENT. If they want to sell eighty different versions of the same game, fine. The chumps will pay marked up prices for their figurines and their silver swords with + 1 strength while I pick up the game at a bargain bin or steam sale for 60% off.

Everyone is happy.  :)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

frunk

It reminds me of the variant cover boom in comics in the 90s.

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 18, 2012, 12:14:45 PM
The chumps will pay marked up prices for their figurines and their silver swords with + 1 strength while I pick up the game at a bargain bin or steam sale for 60% off.

Everyone is happy.  :)

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: frunk on July 18, 2012, 12:27:23 PM
It reminds me of the variant cover boom in comics in the 90s.
That is exactly what it is.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Within 6 months, they'll all be on Xbox Live/PSN/whatever.

Off the top of my head, I can tell you Arkham City and L.A. Noire both pulled that kind of "preorder exclusive madness" where the "exclusives" all ended up just being paid DLC.

In the end, the only real benefits to pre-ordering are bragging rights and saving a buck or two on DLC.
Experience bij!

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

And game companies wonder why piracy is such a problem....
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 20, 2012, 03:42:12 AM

Putting the horse before the cart there aren't you?  Widespread piracy preceded this practice.  In fact, the micro payment model has been introduced because of piracy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

szmik

Quote from: Razgovory on July 20, 2012, 04:11:21 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 20, 2012, 03:42:12 AM

Putting the horse before the cart there aren't you?  Widespread piracy preceded this practice.  In fact, the micro payment model has been introduced because of piracy.

And like all antipiracy measures it annoys legal customers, not pirates  :P I wonder if it's on purpose.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.