Pentagon Considers Awarding Drone Pilots Combat Medals

Started by jimmy olsen, July 18, 2012, 05:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

do REMFs get medals? If so, then drone pilots should get medals as well.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on July 18, 2012, 10:01:46 AM

Apparently, those are also an "insult to all those servicemen who have served with valor in combat."  Why Timmay thinks non-combat medals insult those with combat medals is beyond me, but, then, most of his points escape me.

So long as he stays out of the NCAA football thread, though, I am perfectly willing to overlook his inability to make a logical point.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

This is one of the best Timmeh threads ever.

Anyway, if we deem drone pilots' contributions to be important to today's battlefield (and I don't think anyone can argue that they aren't), I'd think we need to recognize them.  Adding a new combat support medal seems like a good idea.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Generals have very little personal risk in today's warfare too, yet they seem to get distinguished service medals etc.

FunkMonk

Quote from: grumbler on July 18, 2012, 10:36:39 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 18, 2012, 10:01:46 AM

Apparently, those are also an "insult to all those servicemen who have served with valor in combat."  Why Timmay thinks non-combat medals insult those with combat medals is beyond me, but, then, most of his points escape me.

Tim has shamed me. I guess I'll return my Bronze Star for service to the nearest G-1.  :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Brazen on July 18, 2012, 07:57:54 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 18, 2012, 07:55:33 AM
Even more fun, UAS classes are being given by Community Colleges.

http://uas.sinclair.edu/index.html
Doe sit consist of a XBox and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier?

I wish. I'd sneak out of SCM class and join them in pwning n00bs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 18, 2012, 06:14:27 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 18, 2012, 06:06:30 AM
QuoteFucking disgusting, an insult to all those servicemen who have served with valor in combat. Death to the Air Force, bring back the Army Air Corps.
How?
Are modern tank crews who blast their enemy from over a mile away less deserving of medals than 19th century cavalrymen who had to get up close and dirty?
Drones are just a natural evolution in removing the pilot from the bloodyness.
That crew can be killed by other tanks, by artillery, missiles, antitank weapons etc. The drone pilot can't possibly be killed unless the conflict escalates to global thermonuclear war. 

I don't think a medieval soldier would see it quite that way. All he'd see is a bunch of pussies who get to sit miles from the action and press buttons to kill their drastically worse armed enemies.
If we consider fighter pilots its even worse...
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

I may have neglected to read the last few paragraphs in my rush to post this in my frothing rage.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 19, 2012, 03:27:16 AM
I may have neglected to read the last few paragraphs in my rush to post this in my frothing rage.
That is acceptable then.  I suggest in the future you post in rage before even seeing the title of the article.  It'll give things a nice.. unanticipated feel.
PDH!

Siege

Quote from: The Brain on July 18, 2012, 05:52:26 AM
A medal that isn't for valor is an insult to people who receive other medals which are for valor?

This. A medal like this will be just another ribbon.
Nobody is gonna give a fart about a UAV medal.
You realize the Army gives medals for being top 20% of the class on schools, or the faster runner in a 10 km run, or even just for moving to a diferent base. It is call the Army Achievement Medal, lower than the Army Commendation Medal. The first "real" medal in the Army is the Bronze Star, and then only when given with the V device for valor.

I don't see why a UAV pilot can't get one for being the best at what he does.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

11B4V

Quote from: Siege on July 20, 2012, 07:44:33 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 18, 2012, 05:52:26 AM
A medal that isn't for valor is an insult to people who receive other medals which are for valor?

This. A medal like this will be just another ribbon.
Nobody is gonna give a fart about a UAV medal.
You realize the Army gives medals for being top 20% of the class on schools, or the faster runner in a 10 km run, or even just for moving to a diferent base. It is call the Army Achievement Medal, lower than the Army Commendation Medal. The first "real" medal in the Army is the Bronze Star, and then only when given with the V device for valor.

I don't see why a UAV pilot can't get one for being the best at what he does.

Agree
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 20, 2012, 09:17:13 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 20, 2012, 08:40:31 PM
Agree

You agree that the Bronze Star is only worth something with the V device?

I agree with drone pilots not getting anything higher than an ARCOM
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!