Main Menu

The Sun Tracks Down Nazi War Criminal

Started by jimmy olsen, July 17, 2012, 09:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on July 18, 2012, 06:25:10 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 18, 2012, 06:18:15 AM
He has been arrested, finally.

Basic reaction from people in my office: WTF a 97 years old? whats the point?!!

A lot of people here think like this, too. (So does Neil). I disagree. There are crimes for which you should be hounded by the Kindly Ones until the day you die. His are of that kind.

Seems like a waste of our resources. He's highly likely to die soon anyway.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Ah I love the Sun's writing style. Straight in with the "HE KILLED THOUSANDS" and the snide "sadist, xxxxxx".

I read another article about this earlier today, apparently a lot of Jewish groups too are questioning the point of this and saying the money would be better spent countering modern far right idiots.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 08:33:33 AM
Seems like a waste of our resources.

"Our resources"?
Are you a News Corp shareholder?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 18, 2012, 09:41:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 08:33:33 AM
Seems like a waste of our resources.

"Our resources"?
Are you a News Corp shareholder?

Well I meant "our" in terms of government resources in the West.  Presumably NewsCorp isn't holding him for arraignment/trial.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

If the government's handed these guys on a platter, the trial expense is justified IMO.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 09:42:33 AM
Well I meant "our" in terms of government resources in the West. 

Hungary?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 18, 2012, 09:52:28 AM

Hungary?

Sure, I'll claim affinity with Tamas. :)

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 18, 2012, 09:51:07 AM
If the government's handed these guys on a platter, the trial expense is justified IMO.

That isn't the only expense. There's also prison holding expense - I mean you're basically having the state take over financial care for him.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 09:54:37 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 18, 2012, 09:52:28 AM

Hungary?

I'm gonna save this and file for later use.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 09:55:45 AM

That isn't the only expense. There's also prison holding expense - I mean you're basically having the state take over financial care for him.

That's true with any convict. If we can afford to feed and house small time drug dealers and petty thieves, why not somebody who murdered thousands 70 years ago?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 18, 2012, 10:17:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 09:55:45 AM

That's true with any convict. If we can afford to feed and house small time drug dealers and petty thieves, why not somebody who murdered thousands 70 years ago?

Not worth it? :huh:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 09:54:37 AM

I'm sure he'll be touched by your new-found interest in the protection of the Hungarian fisc.

But the bigger problem with your position is the one that Peter notes in his post hust above: it could be applied to many particular cases of criminal activity.  There are plenty of criminal cases where there is little or no recidivism risk and the costs of taking a case to trial far exceed any direct benefit to society from that one conviction.

The money allocated to a criminal justice system is not spent to achieve a net economic benefit for each individual case as measured by some CBA.  It is spent to buy effective rule of law.  And the rule of law is undermined if the message is sent that heinous acts will go unpunished if the economics of punishing them don't break even.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

I'm not sure it is undermined if after 70 years a state declines to prosecute.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2012, 10:40:26 AM
I'm not sure it is undermined if after 70 years a state declines to prosecute.

If you're not sure, why take the risk?
--Joan Robinson