5 Things to Know About the First Drug to Prevent HIV

Started by garbon, July 17, 2012, 03:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: katmai on July 17, 2012, 08:01:32 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 17, 2012, 06:15:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2012, 04:49:55 PMYou should work in the drug industry.  You would make a hell of a pitch man.

What do you mean "should"? garbon makes all his money working for big pharma, of course he shills for them.

Is he Shrill when he shills for them?

That'd just be bad business. :huh:

Anyway, I'm about the truth. If the physicians say your drug is crap, my research will report that back.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2012, 08:07:04 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2012, 08:00:01 PM
It has nothing to do with "misuse".   A valid concern has been raised that people might misconstrue what this drug actually will do.  You yourself have done it in this thread.  Seems a valid concern to me.

I haven't though. It can serve as a preventive. Sort of akin to how naltrexone alone can't treat alcoholism.

What we are talking about is drug efficacy.  If there was no downside risk to the drug then I would agree with you that there is no harm in allowing people to take it  - other than the cost.  Here the real risk is that widespread use of the drug may create a drug resistant form of HIV.

Given the potential low "preventative" value of this drug and the potential downside risks of creating a more deadly form of HIV through its use the approval of this drug is certainly not as straight forward as you would have it.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2012, 05:50:16 PM
In other news there is going to be an at home HIV test soon. That seems potentially too unnerving to do at home by oneself.
I assume it's the same as the on site clinic test? One dot for ok, two dots for dead. Like a pregnancy test... Only slightly more scary lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

Should be a little skull and crossbones, not a 2nd dot!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Quote from: katmai on July 17, 2012, 08:31:38 PM
Should be a little skull and crossbones, not a 2nd dot!

:D sitting in a room waiting for any dot to show up was bad enough. I preferred the " we'll call you with the resaults" version better lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

katmai

HVC

Quote from: katmai on July 17, 2012, 08:34:13 PM
Why were you getting HIV tested :o
i get tested yearly/semiannually. I live on the edge of the gay area so the walk in clinic has on the best tests :lol:. Did you know syphilis is on the way back? Fun posters to read haha

katmai

Actually I think Alaska is leader in VD for US. :shifty:

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2012, 08:21:42 PM
What we are talking about is drug efficacy.  If there was no downside risk to the drug then I would agree with you that there is no harm in allowing people to take it  - other than the cost.  Here the real risk is that widespread use of the drug may create a drug resistant form of HIV.

Given the potential low "preventative" value of this drug and the potential downside risks of creating a more deadly form of HIV through its use the approval of this drug is certainly not as straight forward as you would have it.

75% isn't bad for you straight folks. Besides, the drug is already being used and apparently the powers that be (the FDA) disagree with you that there is high risk of creating a drug resistant strain.

And has already been pointed out - the drug isn't cheap so it probably won't be handed out like candy (aka antiobiotics). If anything the real advance here is that we are getting closer to real knock out meds.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

garbon

Quote from: katmai on July 17, 2012, 08:39:07 PM

I did see that Pitbull will be making an Alaskan voyage.

katmai

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2012, 08:43:33 PM

I did see that Pitbull will be making an Alaskan voyage.

Yeah i spent waaay too much time at that Walmart last fall.

katmai

Quote from: HVC on July 17, 2012, 08:42:03 PM
time to get tested Mr. Vector :P

Oh i do, wouldn't wish an STD on anybody....well maybe Marti.

HVC

Quote from: katmai on July 17, 2012, 08:45:04 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 17, 2012, 08:42:03 PM
time to get tested Mr. Vector :P

Oh i do, wouldn't wish an STD on anybody....well maybe Marti.
No, if marti got a STD we would suffer more then him. Think of all the threads!

katmai