5 Things to Know About the First Drug to Prevent HIV

Started by garbon, July 17, 2012, 03:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

It may be a reasonable concern, but the drug is supposed to be prescribed together with a whole plan of prevention, and the article claims that studies have shown no higher risk.

QuoteHowever, patients who receive Truvada prophylactically will be expected to participate in a comprehensive HIV protection plan involving regular HIV testing, condom use and prevention counseling and support. Clinical trials have not shown that users are more likely to engage in risky sexual behavior.

In these circumstances, whatever reasonable concern that may have existed is addressed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 17, 2012, 04:52:37 PM
In my high school health class we had an instructor who openly advocated that we engage in anal sex rather than vaginal. We were awestruck.  :lol:

... and then he offered to demonstrate.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2012, 04:49:55 PM
The concern is that people who do those things will be less likely to use condoms because they wrongly believe the drug will prevent them from getting AIDS.
With all the drug-resistant VD going around these days, they'd be crazy to do that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Malthus on July 17, 2012, 04:56:16 PM
In my high school health class we had an instructor who openly advocated that we engage in anal sex rather than vaginal. We were awestruck.  :lol:

It was a she.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

You should work in the drug industry.  You would make a hell of a pitch man.

In one study risk of infection was lowered 42%.  And that was in a group that was using condoms - or at least told to do so.  That is a long way off from "preventing".  Given your response I can see a great deal of justification in the fear that people will begin to think that the drug really does create a kind of immunity.

And it is good you are a lawyer as you selectively ignore that which is inconvenient as it was that for the straight couple study.

And then of course those that took it were not seen to engage in more risky behavior :o (edit: Malthus caught that)

Anyway, don't worry - I'm not running off to have unprotected sex with multiple partners - Truvada or not.

The concern is not that people will engage in risky behaviour such as having multiple partners or having sex with people they know have AIDs.  The concern is that people who do those things will be less likely to use condoms because they wrongly believe the drug will prevent them from getting AIDS.

Probably not likely. You still need to get a prescription which will mean you are told about the risks. Besides, I don't really see the alternative. Block a drug from being prescribed because people could misuse it?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

stjaba

I think another concern is: Who will pay for this? Truvada apparently costs around $14,000 per year. Truvada is already being prescribed to help treat HIV, and I imagine that insurance companies are fine paying for that.

But $14,000 as a preventative measure, when condoms are comparatively  so cheap? I wouldn't be surprised if insurance companies refuse to pay for it.

Malthus

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 17, 2012, 05:12:10 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 17, 2012, 04:56:16 PM

It was a she.  :lol:

Just call her "Peggy".  ;)

Iormlund

We had a really creepy sex ed instructor when I was 15. First thing he did was get all pretty girls to sit in the first row, then proceeded to completely ignore the rest of us (to our delight).

Half into the semester he was arrested for statutory rape.

garbon

In other news there is going to be an at home HIV test soon. That seems potentially too unnerving to do at home by oneself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2012, 04:09:23 PM
:mellow:

Ok I promised to be nice to you Yi.  So  :zipped:

You made no such promise to Crazy Canuck or Beeb, so let 'er rip. :cheers:

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2012, 04:49:55 PMYou should work in the drug industry.  You would make a hell of a pitch man.

What do you mean "should"? garbon makes all his money working for big pharma, of course he shills for them.

Neil

Quote from: stjaba on July 17, 2012, 05:36:42 PM
I think another concern is: Who will pay for this? Truvada apparently costs around $14,000 per year. Truvada is already being prescribed to help treat HIV, and I imagine that insurance companies are fine paying for that.

But $14,000 as a preventative measure, when condoms are comparatively  so cheap? I wouldn't be surprised if insurance companies refuse to pay for it.
Gays have disposable income.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2012, 05:24:16 PM
And it is good you are a lawyer.

Its always good.

Probably not likely. You still need to get a prescription which will mean you are told about the risks. Besides, I don't really see the alternative. Block a drug from being prescribed because people could misuse it?

It has nothing to do with "misuse".   A valid concern has been raised that people might misconstrue what this drug actually will do.  You yourself have done it in this thread.  Seems a valid concern to me.

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on July 17, 2012, 06:15:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2012, 04:49:55 PMYou should work in the drug industry.  You would make a hell of a pitch man.

What do you mean "should"? garbon makes all his money working for big pharma, of course he shills for them.

Is he Shrill when he shills for them?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2012, 08:00:01 PM
It has nothing to do with "misuse".   A valid concern has been raised that people might misconstrue what this drug actually will do.  You yourself have done it in this thread.  Seems a valid concern to me.

I haven't though. It can serve as a preventive. Sort of akin to how naltrexone alone can't treat alcoholism.