Main Menu

Bought an iPhone

Started by Sheilbh, July 17, 2012, 02:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2012, 04:01:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 17, 2012, 03:59:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 03:44:53 PM
And yes - nobody cares about aesthetics, in particular the aesthetics of packaging, like Apple does.

Triumph of form over function, the medium becomes the message etc ? 

It also depends on if you like the aesthetics they are pushing.

I don't know, what are they; all I can get from BB it they make some amazing cardboard boxes.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 03:44:53 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 17, 2012, 03:37:49 PM
But an iphone? I mean, the iOS is nice enough but it is like Android made with a braindead monkey in mind as target customer. That has some plus points, and some minus points. And I don't care if Android copied the iOS. The point is that with an iphone you are not buying anything you couldnt buy for half, apart from the logo.

:huh:

Putting Macs aside, and looking just at iPhone - you're completely wrong.  In fact there are numerous articles out there saying that because Apple used its enormous cash supplies several years ago, and the enormous quantities they buy in, they get their components (especialy the tricky stuff like touchscreens and batteries) at significant discounts to everyone else.

You can not in fact get the equivalent to an iPhone 4s at half the price.  Yes, you can buy various Android phones at half the price - but they won't have all of the hardware features.

And yes - nobody cares about aesthetics, in particular the aesthetics of packaging, like Apple does.

The phone market in the US is pretty well disconnected from the material cost of the phone.  Most of the cost is rolled up in the phone plan that you get forced into not the initial purchase price of the phone to the consumer, so it is quite possible you could get an equivalent Android phone at half the cost.  Hell I got an offer when I left my old phone company for any Android phone for free if I signed a two year contract.

The Brain

The Apple logo says that you are a homosexual lemming. Many people are fine with this.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Except form over function implies that they are sacrificing fuction in favour of form.  That isn't the case.

As an example - if you search google you can find a bunch of videos of people unboxing their apple product.  You don't see that for any other company.  Why?  Because no other company cares about the user experience of unboxing. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 04:35:23 PM

Except form over function implies that they are sacrificing fuction in favour of form.  That isn't the case.

As an example - if you search google you can find a bunch of videos of people unboxing their apple product.  You don't see that for any other company.  Why?  Because no other company cares about the user experience of unboxing. 

Are you kidding me?  There is a metric shit-ton of non-Apple product unboxing videos.  Take off your blinders.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Why Shelf, why!

It is looking like will announce next gen in about three weeks.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2012, 04:38:15 PM

Are you kidding me?  There is a metric shit-ton of non-Apple product unboxing videos.  Take off your blinders.

I stand corrected then.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2012, 04:38:15 PM

Yeah, I just typed unboxing into google and the first vid wasn't even apple.

Also, not sure what this metric tells us..
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

My wife just retired her iPhone  :hmm:

It was one of the earlier incarnations IIRC, she seems to have had it for ages. The new phone is a Samsung Galaxy thingie. Apparently it is much faster on the internet, the screen is certainly much bigger and clearer.

CountDeMoney

If they're correct that the next Apple iHipster will have a 4" screen, I'm glad I scored a 4s when I did.

Tired of these things getting bigger.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 17, 2012, 04:46:21 PM

It was one of the earlier incarnations IIRC, she seems to have had it for ages. The new phone is a Samsung Galaxy thingie. Apparently it is much faster on the internet, the screen is certainly much bigger and clearer.

Well yes - typically new phones are faster than old phones. :hmm:

I dunno about those Samsung Galaxy thingies - they seem monstrously huge.  Now obviously that makes reading them easier, but how well do they fit in a pocket?

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 04:48:14 PM
If they're correct that the next Apple iHipster will have a 4" screen, I'm glad I scored a 4s when I did.

Supposedly (since they're all rumours) the 4" screen will still be within the same physical dimensions.  They will just make the screen longer / take away bezel.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 04:48:57 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 17, 2012, 04:46:21 PM

Well yes - typically new phones are faster than old phones. :hmm:

I dunno about those Samsung Galaxy thingies - they seem monstrously huge.  Now obviously that makes reading them easier, but how well do they fit in a pocket?

She bought an expensive new handbag to put it in  :lol:

Which I paid for  :hmm:

Yeah, the large screen is nice but might not be so attractive to a bloke.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 04:48:14 PM

Indeed.  Why would I want a phone that doesn't fit in my pocket?  And why would I want a product made by Apple for homos?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

FunkMonk

Is this the thread where we come out of the Apple closet?

Until a few weeks ago I had pilloried Apple products and used to say that even if I received one for free I'd rarely, if ever, use it.

Then I received an iPad as a gift. I use it every day for hours at a time. I even use it to post on Languish.  :Embarrass:

I've become what I hate most.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.