News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you help your parents financially?

Started by Martinus, July 17, 2012, 11:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

It's not financial help per se, as they're perfectly well off, but I give them small loans when something has to be done in the house and they don't have the money right away. I recently gave them 3.000€ until my mom got her first payment from her retirement fund. After all the help they've given me over the years it's the least I could do.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2012, 11:31:21 AM
Mom is retired with a teacher's pension.  Dad still works contract / part time.  They appear to be doing okay.
Exactly the same as my parents. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

I'll be happy when my mom can begin drawing her teacher's pension. I'm paranoid right now that she'll find some way to blow it and lose her job and pension and I'll have to take her on as a full-time dependent. She used to have my step-dad's SSA but now he's dead.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2012, 02:04:56 PM
My Mom would rather amputate her foot with a rusty spoon than accept help from any of her children. Heck she refused to allow me to invite her to Vienna (flight, food, lodging in either hotel or my apartment paid by me).

Maybe she simply can't stand you?

Martinus

Anyway, I help my parents to the tune of app. $2,000 per month. Considering their Polish communist era pensions give a grand total of app. $500 per month (they didn't work in the military or the secret service, where the pensions are high), it's needed.

I wish my parents were rich nomenklatura and could give me cash. :(

Tamas

I see from his style that Marty's "boyfriend" asked for money again today.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on July 18, 2012, 07:21:54 AM
My Mom would rather amputate her foot with a rusty spoon than accept help from any of her children. Heck she refused to allow me to invite her to Vienna (flight, food, lodging in either hotel or my apartment paid by me).

Really? Yo Mama jokes?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2012, 08:02:37 AM

Really? Yo Mama jokes?

:secret: That's not a Yo Mama joke.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Yo' Mama jokes are classy compared to that.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on July 18, 2012, 07:24:59 AM

Still after all these years the nomenklatura are making out eh?  Dang selling out to the Russians is lucrative.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on July 18, 2012, 08:53:04 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 18, 2012, 07:24:59 AM

Still after all these years the nomenklatura are making out eh?  Dang selling out to the Russians is lucrative.

Well, they were in a perfect position to get all the good deals and cheap assets when the communism was going bust and got a head start.

You know how they say you have to steal your first million? Imagine a clean slate capitalism where at the start a small group has the first million and everyone else does not have anything. ;)

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on July 18, 2012, 07:33:31 AM
1st and 15th of the month Tamas :contract:

Actually, it's on a weekly basis. :P

And fuck you. :D

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2012, 08:02:37 AM

Really? Yo Mama jokes?

It's not really a Yo Mama joke. A Yo Mama joke is about disparaging someone else's mom. I am disparaging you. :P