News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you help your parents financially?

Started by Martinus, July 17, 2012, 11:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I'm curious how many people do this (mainly focusing on people who have parents who are retired, obviously, and not active professionally).

Grey Fox

Only my father is retired and no.

It's still the other way around.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

I began assisting my parents financially when I started working - around the age of 13. 

Barrister

No.

Mom is retired with a teacher's pension.  Dad still works contract / part time.  They appear to be doing okay.

I have resigned myself that any future home should ideally have a mother-in-law suite for, well, my mother in law...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2012, 11:28:03 AM
I began assisting my parents financially when I started working - around the age of 13.

Ditto.

Mom owed me twenty grand on the day I moved out. When the total reached $35,000 I gave up on it. A significant amount of my mother's existence is still subsidized by me, and I'm about to buy a house for her to live in.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

No. My parents both still work and both have a higher net income than me.

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 17, 2012, 11:31:49 AM
Ditto.

Mom owed me twenty grand on the day I moved out. When the total reached $35,000 I gave up on it. A significant amount of my mother's existence is still subsidized by me, and I'm about to buy a house for her to live in.

Heh never loan family members money.  It is either a gift or do not give it at all.

And no my parents do really well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2012, 11:44:09 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 17, 2012, 11:31:49 AM
Ditto.

Heh never loan family members money.  It is either a gift or do not give it at all.

Given the fact your parents are well off, you were never in the position MiM and I were/are in.  When my parents asked me for money they always said it was a loan which they would pay back as soon as they had the money.  I quickly learned there was no chance I was ever going to see that money again but kept up the pretence of it being a loan because it seemed easier for them that way.

Brazen

No, still poorer than my retired father. He's giving me a loan to extend the lease on my flat which was refused by my mortgage company, for shame  :Embarrass:

Richard Hakluyt

My mother does not need any financial help. But my mother-in-law lives in a house that we have provided, I should add that both of these people have been very generous to us in the past.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2012, 11:49:25 AM
Given the fact your parents are well off, you were never in the position MiM and I were/are in.  When my parents asked me for money they always said it was a loan which they would pay back as soon as they had the money.  I quickly learned there was no chance I was ever going to see that money again but kept up the pretence of it being a loan because it seemed easier for them that way.

Yep. That's how it happens. Things keep "coming up", but we'll get to it soon. Meh. Let them keep their dignity.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 17, 2012, 11:26:24 AM

Ditto;  both my parents are comfortably retired, and they're looking at bankrolling me in the future.

Already told me they won't let me move back in.  :glare:

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2012, 12:28:17 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 17, 2012, 11:26:24 AM

Ditto;  both my parents are comfortably retired, and they're looking at bankrolling me in the future.

Already told me they won't let me move back in.  :glare:

Your mom still takes care of her boy, with all the meals she makes you.  Lucky bastard.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2012, 12:32:16 PM
Your mom still takes care of her boy, with all the meals she makes you.  Lucky bastard.

LOL, don't buy into all the hype;  if it's something she's made and she doesn't like it, it's passed on to me.  "Well, I didn't like the way it turned out", or "it smelled funny".  Thanks, Mom.