Middle Class? Here's What's Destroying Your Future

Started by citizen k, July 12, 2012, 02:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Like this Raz. Too many fancy charts and shit. Dont know and dont care to know. Would rather spend my time doing many other things than read this. It's like blah blah blah picture chart  more blah blah another picture chart........

No offense to the original poster by any means.

Quote from: citizen k on July 12, 2012, 02:10:33 PM
Middle Class? Here's What's Destroying Your Future
by Peak Prosperity contributing editor Charles Hugh Smith

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: Phillip V on July 12, 2012, 02:41:12 PM
Children of white middle class parents:

These people don't look like middle class to me.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Phillip V

Changes in marriage patterns — as opposed to changes in individual earnings — may account for as much as 40 percent of the growth in inequality.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/us/two-classes-in-america-divided-by-i-do.html
QuoteAbout 41 percent of births in the United States occur outside marriage, up sharply from 17 percent three decades ago. But equally sharp are the educational divides, according to an analysis by Child Trends, a Washington research group. Less than 10 percent of the births to college-educated women occur outside marriage, while for women with high school degrees or less the figure is nearly 60 percent.

Long concentrated among minorities, motherhood outside marriage now varies by class about as much as it does by race. It is growing fastest in the lower reaches of the white middle class — among women like Ms. Schairer who have some postsecondary schooling but no four-year degree.

While many children of single mothers flourish (two of the last three presidents had mothers who were single during part of their childhood), a large body of research shows that they are more likely than similar children with married parents to experience childhood poverty, act up in class, become teenage parents and drop out of school.

Sara McLanahan, a Princeton sociologist, warns that family structure increasingly consigns children to "diverging destinies."

Married couples are having children later than they used to, divorcing less and investing heavily in parenting time. By contrast, a growing share of single mothers have never married, and many have children with more than one man.

CountDeMoney

QuoteWhile many children of single mothers flourish (two of the last three presidents had mothers who were single during part of their childhood), a large body of research shows that they are more likely than similar children with married parents to experience childhood poverty, act up in class, become teenage parents and drop out of school.

Not only are Clinton and Obama exceptions to the rule, they are incredibly exceptional exceptions.