computer can't connect to the internets

Started by alfred russel, July 14, 2012, 07:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

My computer at home stopped connecting to the internet in a major storm earlier this week. I thought it was the modem, and got a new one. When it didn't work, I got another. In an epiphany, I tried connecting through another computer I have, and it worked.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong? I guess it could be the virus that shuts down the internet that was in the news earlier, but I had gone to the FBI website beforehand to check on that and had gotten a clean bill of health.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

are you connected directly to the modem or through a router?  try directly to the modem, if not.

Maybe your network card got fried in the storm, or the part of your motherboard that serves as a network card.  Maybe try to buy a cheap network card and see if it works.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

I was connecting directly to the modem. I'll try a new network card to see what happens. Thanks.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

viper37

you could try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them.  Maybe it's just some software corruption due to the forced shutdown.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

A new network card worked. Thanks Viper.

viper37