Pants, dairy factory, etc. - Ultima is coming back

Started by Barrister, July 12, 2012, 02:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

http://ultimaforever.com/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/12/eas-paul-barnett-ultima-forever-reboot-is-not-an-mmo/

An odd strategy - they're making it Free to Play, it's a remake of the ultima Ultima - Ultima IV.  But Ultima was my #1 childhood favourite computer game, so I don't care - I'm excited.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 02:19:12 PM
But Ultima was my #1 childhood favourite computer game, so I don't care - I'm excited.

Man, my friends and I sunk a shitload of hours into Ultima IV back in the day.  What a great package, too.  The map, the ankh...good times.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 12, 2012, 02:21:28 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 02:19:12 PM
But Ultima was my #1 childhood favourite computer game, so I don't care - I'm excited.

Man, my friends and I sunk a shitload of hours into Ultima IV back in the day.  What a great package, too.  The map, the ankh...good times.

I... wouldn't know about the package Ultima IV came in.   :blush:

I will have you know that I spent an entire month's pay from umpiring baseball games in the summer on Ultima V however.  When they gave me the paycheque they even said "don't spend it all before you get home".  I laughed because that's exactly what I did.   :lol:

sbr

You all know there is a legit, legal free version of the original Ultima IV out there for download?  It looks like it works well on modern systems, including Mac OS.

http://xu4.sourceforge.net/

EDIT:  That said a remade modern Ultima IV would be very cool.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: sbr on July 12, 2012, 02:42:03 PM
You all know there is a legit, legal free version of the original Ultima IV out there for download?  It looks like it works well on modern systems, including Mac OS.

It's also available at gog.com for free (with all other parts up to vii for cheap).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: sbr on July 12, 2012, 02:42:03 PM

Or you could download the actual game for free from GOG, rather than a remake.

I wonder if I could manage to play Ultima IV in this day and age.  Graphics haven't aged well at all.  I know it seemed to take a hundred hours or so to win - and for some reason I think I never did win it (after seeing my brother win that was good enough for me).  This was all pre-internet of course so you couldn't just look up a walkthrough or hint site.

sbr

Valmy

Wait when is this game coming out?  I will definitely have to get it.  It looks more like a reboot than a remake though  :hmm:

I presume this is going to be done in the style of Mass Effect and Skyrim and the other action RPGs.  Eh I have learned to accept them.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

QuoteThe original game is lauded as very important, and it is, but if you give it to a modern gamer, it's sort of like trying to read Chaucer. You're told it's worthy, but it's sort of incomprehensible."

A very good analogy about so many classic games.

Barrister

Downloaded the GOG original.

Holy crap - it both takes me back very strongly, and WOW - I can't believe I played these games for so many hours.  It makes me feel so very, very old (yet while part of me feels like it was yesterday as well).

Syt

I still think that a cross-platform multiplayer action RPG is against everything that original Ultima stood.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on July 13, 2012, 03:04:08 AM
I still think that a cross-platform multiplayer action RPG is against everything that original Ultima stood.

The original Ultima was cross-platform - there were C64, Apple II, MS-DOS, and Atari ST versions (plus probably a few more).

There was no such thing as multiplayer in those days.

And the couple of article I've seen have said it isn't action-oriented... :unsure:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on July 13, 2012, 09:08:24 AM
The original Ultima was cross-platform - there were C64, Apple II, MS-DOS, and Atari ST versions (plus probably a few more).

There was no such thing as multiplayer in those days.

Heh, we would "hot seat" our characters. Have a sleepover at my friend's house, and we'd take turns all night with our characters with his C64.  YOUVE HAD 2 HOURS MY TURN

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 13, 2012, 12:42:01 AM
It makes me feel so very, very old (yet while part of me feels like it was yesterday as well).

You should. I wasn't born when it came out. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.