News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stuff you don't know about

Started by Razgovory, July 12, 2012, 01:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

We all have our strengths on this board and we all have our weaknesses.  Some topics we just don't know much about.  While alot of us like to think ourselves pretty sharp, even the most arrogant of us has to admit there are holes in our knowledge.  What are yours?

I naturally have several.  A big one is East Asian and South Asian history.   The further east you go, the less I know about the world.  So I know little about the Kings of India or the Emperors of China.  Fortunately that doesn't come up very often.  A bit tougher is economics, that those issues often come up.  When an economic topic comes up and and I stupidly fail to refrain from commenting I usually have to read the article several times and then look up what several of the words and concepts mean.  Then I still look like and idiot.  Often I simply ask JR. "What dat mean?".  Or "Is that good or bad?"  Tis a great shame.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Matrix algebra.  Lots of computer crap.

Ideologue

The really major gap in my education is fluency in any foreign languages.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Trig.  I memorized enough formulas to ace the class in high school, but I have no frickin clue what any of it means.

Scipio

There's nothing I can't pretend to know almost everything about with a few minutes time to prepare.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on July 12, 2012, 01:28:25 PM
There's nothing I can't pretend to know almost everything about with a few minutes time to prepare.

But that says nothing about whether or not your audience buys it. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I know I'm a small minority here (maybe I'm alone), but I have a pretty huge blindspot for most history that occurred prior to the 17th century-- particularly ancient Greek & Roman history. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I have forgotten most of my advanced maths from school. Also, I'm lost when a discussion comes to cars and their comparative features. There's several areas in history of which I have only cursory knowledge. Physics and Chemistry are also not my strong suit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2012, 01:37:52 PM
I have forgotten most of my advanced maths from school. Also, I'm lost when a discussion comes to cars and their comparative features. There's several areas in history of which I have only cursory knowledge. Physics and Chemistry are also not my strong suit.

It bugs me slightly that I spent so many years studying geology and I remember virtually none of it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

I also find it amazing how three people have complained about their lack of historical knowledge, when I bet everyone on this forum knows more about history than 95% of the world.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Oh, I'm also completely ueless when it comes to DIY, tools of all kinds or outdoorsmanship.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 01:39:38 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2012, 01:37:52 PM

It bugs me slightly that I spent so many years studying geology and I remember virtually none of it.

I bought the book "Why Nations Fail", because the topic sounded interesting (democratic institutions, econmics factors, society groups as factors etc.). Imagine my surprise when I opened the book and found it plastered with economical equations . . . they look in part kinda familiar, but I think I've forgotten way too much of my macroeconomics (a subject I loved at school . . . 17 years ago).
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 01:42:07 PM
I also find it amazing how three people have complained about their lack of historical knowledge, when I bet everyone on this forum knows more about history than 95% of the world.

It's here that I realize how little I know about ancient history.  On many of those topics I probably know little more than the average person.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Scipio

I know fuck-all about opera, modern art, hockey, baseball after 1994, pop music, Opus Dei, and the Triads.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DGuller

I'm a little weak on the daily goings on of Chad's National Assembly, or what hot button issues it faces in this term.  I probably can't even name every member there.  :Embarrass: