Kim Jong-un's mystery lady is a North Korean pop star!

Started by garbon, July 11, 2012, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

QuoteIn 2001, the current leader's older brother, Kim Jong-nam, was apparently banished from the line of succession after being detained by the Japanese authorities while trying to enter Japan on a Dominican Republic passport to visit Tokyo Disneyland.

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Yeah, pretty famous event that, it always struck me as odd why he claimed to be from the Dominican Republic of all places. I wonder what the fake name was, Raul Santos?
He really should have just got a fake Chinese or Vietnamese or some other country where he could pass for one of its people, passports.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2012, 02:53:55 AM
Yeah, pretty famous event that, it always struck me as odd why he claimed to be from the Dominican Republic of all places. I wonder what the fake name was, Raul Santos?
He really should have just got a fake Chinese or Vietnamese or some other country where he could pass for one of its people, passports.

Apparently a fair number of Asians settled in the Dominican Republic.  A guy I work with is from there and has a Chinese grandfather.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 12, 2012, 10:07:27 AM
Apparently a fair number of Asians settled in the Dominican Republic.  A guy I work with is from there and has a Chinese grandfather.

A lot of Caribbean nations saw substantial Asian immigration after WW2.  Jamaica's got a tremendously influential Chinese immigrant population.  They own all the gambling houses.

Barrister

I believe there are fairly significant Chinese minorities throughout central and south america.

Remember it wasn't that long ago when places like the Dominican Republic were richer than almost anywhere in asia (as odd as that now sounds).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

In Latin America the generic word for Asian is chino.  In Jamaica the generic word for Asian is Chinaman.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2012, 12:22:35 AM
Is this a spoof or actual reporting? I dont know the site.

Fuse is a music site (/tv channel with website). If you look this up though many sources are reporting it. 2nd link in first post is to ABC.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

He's consolidating his power. It's become "international playboyland". Or "about to be overthrownland".
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 10:16:00 AM
I believe there are fairly significant Chinese minorities throughout central and south america.

Remember it wasn't that long ago when places like the Dominican Republic were richer than almost anywhere in asia (as odd as that now sounds).

Some of the best Chinese food I've had was in Tijuana.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on July 18, 2012, 12:10:00 AM
Some of the best Chinese food I've had was in Tijuana.

Next time you're in town, we'll have you over for dinner.

garbon

I'm not sure Tijuana has the best of anything positive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Woah! :o

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/07/20/2012072000583.html
QuoteN.Korean Army Chief 'Refused to Go Quietly'

A gunbattle broke out when the North Korean regime removed army chief Ri Yong-ho from office, leaving 20 to 30 soldiers dead, according to unconfirmed intelligence reports. Some intelligence analysts believe Ri, who has not been seen since his abrupt sacking earlier this week, was injured or killed in the confrontation.

According to government officials here, the gunbattle erupted when Vice Marshal Choe Ryong-hae, the director of the People's Army General Political Bureau, tried to detain Ri in the process of carrying out leader Kim Jong-un's order to sack him. Guards protecting Ri, who is a vice marshal, apparently opened fire. "We cannot rule out the possibility that Ri was injured or even killed in the firefight," said one source.

Choe is believed to be the right-hand man of Jang Song-taek, the uncle and patron of the young North Korean leader. He made his career in the Workers Party rather than the army. After being appointed director of the bureau, Choe repeatedly clashed with Ri, who came up as a field commander, prompting Choe to keep Ri under close watch and apparently triggering an internal probe targeting the army chief.

The military had grown tremendously in power under former North Korean leader Kim Jong-il's "songun" or military-first doctrine, and military heavyweights like Ri who grew in stature during this period were considered threats to the young North Korean leader.

"The firefight has still not been 100 percent confirmed," said a government official here. "It may take some time for us to gain a clearer picture of what happened."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Jacob